PDA

View Full Version : unregistering OfficeXP?

Lau
02-10-2003, 04:39 PM
hey everyone,
I got a little question about Office XP. I have installed and registered on my old laptop. Just got a brand new computer, and I am wondering how to unregister the version installed on the laptop.

Any idea?
Thanks

YODA74
02-10-2003, 05:32 PM
As far as I know Registration is for product information and notification to the end user of new updates that may be required. The only thing you really need to be concerned with is that the right person ends up with the software's "End User License Agreement". That's the one that allows you to use it legally.

If you have a boxed retail copy of office xp then you can install it on a different computer and activate it. No special steps needed There isn't a 'deactivation' choice on the first install. If you have problem
choose the activate by phone method and talk to a technician to update your computer records.

If you have an OEM copy of office xp (preinstalled on the computer) then that copy is licensed to the first computer it was activated on and can't be moved to a different computer.

Paul Komski
02-10-2003, 07:34 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/mpafaq.asp

"Microsoft's End User License Agreements (EULAs) have always stipulated the number of PCs that software can be installed on. Product Activation does not change that. Office XP may be installed on one PC. The primary user of Office may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use".

Lau
02-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks to you two.

The reason I was asking is because I had to reinstall Office on the laptop once, and it would tell me that the current product was already registered on another computer, so it let me open it I think 50 times before preventing me from opening it again.
I did call their customer support to ask for another code (can't remember what it was called), and they gave me another one. Knowing Microsoft, I don't want them to think that I'm installing it on a whole bunch of different computer.

Lau
02-10-2003, 09:56 PM
ok, I have it registered and activated...

Now, I'm trying to copy my address book from one computer to the other, but I have no idea where to find the file!!! Same for the some of the emails I still need.

Paul Komski
02-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Are you using Outlook (as part of Office) or OE (Outlook Express)?? because the address book and messages are stored differently depending on which mail client you are using.

If OE:- then search for *.pab to find the address book and if you can open the original OE you will find the location of its store folder containing the messages listed at Tools>>Options>>Maintenance>>StoreFolder. Copy this folder over and/or then use the import function to get the mails into the new client.

If Outlook:- then post back because this can be more problematic. I havent used Outlook for some time but others will know what to do.

Lau
02-11-2003, 04:43 PM
and ... I am using Outlook!!! Of course, that would have been too eay... :o)

Paul Komski
02-11-2003, 07:07 PM
http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:xq51KvkK4nMC:www.iue.indiana.edu/tlc/wkshps/Import-Export.pdf+import+export+wizard+microsoft+outlook&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

The above link might help. I can't get it to not break into two parts so just copy the whole link and paste it into the address bar.

As far as the messages go (not sure about the address book) it appears to be easiest to use the import/export wizard in Outlook as long as you now create (or orinally had exported to a) .pst file from the originals.