PDA

View Full Version : Unable to extract .dll file

mike2002
02-11-2003, 05:27 PM
In Windows 98SE, System File Checker reported that 'WMSUI32.DLL' may be corrupted. It's function is 'Mail/Exchange Component' for Windows Messaging. Although I don't have need for the latter, I wish to replace the file so that SFC doesn't keep reporting it.
I have searched the 98S Installation disk for it's location in the CAB file folder, but cannot find this folder.
Can anyone tell me the path to navigate to get to it?

bassman
02-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Hello Mike,
I am sure there are some here who can give the exact path, but at the moment I cannot.
What you can do is this;
Insert the 98 CD into drive and close it.
go to Start>Search>Files and Folders.
Direct it to the CD-ROM and name the file you are after.
If you can find the path to the one being reported as bad, rename it as 'WMSUI32.old' then copy and paste the replacement from your find.

Good luck and let us know how you do
Frank

pentachris
02-11-2003, 05:57 PM
I'm not making any judgements here, but what is said here (http://www.mirrors.org/archived_software/www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/archive/021.htm#9) makes good sense...

bassman
02-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Nice call Pentachris. I need to get back into the swing:rolleyes:

Sylvander
02-11-2003, 06:30 PM
I think you’re right pentachris.

I’ve had System File Checker report corrupted files and I ignored it because I was pretty sure they were not.

What I’d like to know is:
On what basis does it report this?
It must be detecting something; and it’s programmed to present this text when it detects it.
So what is it that it’s detecting?

Does anyone have any ideas?

mike2002
02-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Bassman: I thought that your suggestion to use the 'Find' facility to
be an excellent one - why didn't I think of it. Trouble is, it doesn't seem to look in the sub-folders and so on. So it still reports that the file cannot be found. Sure, you can use the 'browse' function, but then you've got to laboriously look in every sub-sub folder. Too much
work - considering that I'm not having any problems elsewhere.
I'll leave well alone and, as that article said, there's nothing to be gained from running SFC just for the fun of it.
Thanks anyway.

kayofcircles
02-12-2003, 12:15 PM
bassman ...Delighted to see you! Been awhile..good to have you back a bit.

Would like to comment that sometimes one does need to replace corrupted files. Had to do that myself..and basically copied/pasted files from another 98 puter to my System folder..and solved my problem. Also, I think it's good policy to run SFC after installing anything..just so that one can write down some of the files that have been "updated" and such. That way, if you run into conflicts later down the line, you know what files have changed and where the problem might lie.

mike2002 ...I am too lazy to go and run a SFC to check, but isn't there a "ignore" or "don't tell me about this file anymore" option in the SFC window?

Paul Komski
02-12-2003, 03:51 PM
wmsui32.dll relates to windows messaging. This was part of Windows95 and is also to be found as part of Outlook (which in turn comes with MS Office). The file certainly exists on the Office97 CD.

Don't know if this helps. If you are using Office you could try a reinstall/repair from Add/Remove and if you are not using Outlook you could try removing it from the Office installation altogether.

mike2002
02-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Paul: I don't have Office or Outlook, just Outlook Express.
kayofcircles: Haven't really got my head around the business of
old/updated files. Never really sure whether updated versions are preferable in every instance, or whether its better to carry on using the original ones.

mjc
02-12-2003, 07:59 PM
It depends, if the update is to correct a secutiry flaw/ bug then yes it is preferable to have the new.

It if is for some other reason, then maybe....

Sylvander
02-13-2003, 05:58 AM
You should regularly visit the “Windows Update” site.

I believe this checks over your Windows installation [including “Outlook Express”] and I guess if it finds a missing file it will tell you to download an “Outlook Express” “update” to fix it.
If your copy of “Outlook Express” with the missing file is not the latest, then an update will fix it.

INTERESTING INFO
Some updates like this application cannot be uninstalled and one way to eliminate the update is to have a backup taken [I'd do the whole c: drive] before the update and to re-format the HDD and restore a backup taken of the old [c: drive] arrangement.

If you go to "Start>Run>sfc" and run "System File Checker" and confirm that all the past file changes are ok [excluding your dll]:
Then when you complete the update and run "sfc" again it will show all the file changes made as part of that update.
Hopefully your "dll" will show as one of those updated.

Give the ok to those changes of course.

Paul Komski
02-13-2003, 04:41 PM
How to Reinstall Microsoft Fax and Windows Messaging: mskb235713 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235713)