PDA

View Full Version : after a while ... WINDOWS slows down

josemavicente
02-12-2003, 07:46 AM
hi got a question ... it happens that after using your PC for more than a month or two, windows slows down. This is due to installing new things I guess so I uninstall stuff I dont need and defrag often just so Windows XP becomes optimized. Yet, I still noticed that WinXP slows down gradually as the weeks go by unless I do a reformat -- my question is, is ther a way to optimize windows aside from defragging and reformatting?

ski
02-12-2003, 09:29 AM
First, make sure your system has at least 512MB of RAM, as Win XP is a memory hog.
And if you run memory intensive applications, like graphic design, video and/or photo editing, etc., then install even more RAM.

If that's ok, then shut down all unnecessary programs running in the background.

If the problem is still there, then it's possible that your system has a memory leak.
This can be caused by one or more programs, and the only way to troubleshoot it is to reformat and reinstall, and then monitor the amount of free physical memory after running programs one at a time. If a specific program causes the memory to gradually decrease, then you have the culprit.

Mark Miller
02-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Ski is right XP is mem hog. I have found that rebooting every couple days really helps with the speed of Xp. Not the same kind of problem as in Win 9x but there are mem leaks. This is only if you keep your computer on all the time.
Mark

mjc
02-12-2003, 06:23 PM
don't forget to regularly blow your cookies and empty you browser cache, they tend to take up space on the hard drive and also ten do be more fragmented than other programs.

Budfred
02-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Check out this site for ideas about how to streamline XP and other Windoze versions:

http://www.blkviper.com/index.html

Whyzman
02-12-2003, 09:00 PM
I wonder also, if in that amount of time your registry "junk drawer" is getting a bit surfeited! :p I just like mjc's analogy...

Do you use Spybot Search&Destroy? In conjunction with RegCleaner: www.jv16.org they do a wonderful job of going through the "junk drawer" and removing misc. odds and ends!

josemavicente
02-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Ill try your suggestions guys and thanks for the help... regarding your RAM inquiry, i "only" have 390 MB of SD RAM :)

ski
02-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Depending on how many programs are running in the background and how many programs you run simultaneously, 390MB of RAM may not be enough with Win XP.
And if that's the case, then your virtual memory will kick in and slow down performance big time.

josemavicente
02-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Depending on how many programs are running in the background and how many programs you run simultaneously, 390MB of RAM may not be enough with Win XP.

Background programs meaning anti-virus and taskbar things? I got AVG, hotsynch, msnmsnger, yahoo pager. I turn off anti virus when running memory huggers.

Do you use Spybot Search&Destroy? In conjunction with RegCleaner: www.jv16.org they do a wonderful job of going through the "junk drawer" and removing misc. odds and ends!

I downloaded regcleaner but I dont know how to use it :confused:

josemavicente
02-14-2003, 12:14 PM
oh and regarding RAM, how advisable is it to upgrade to DDR? Because I can only afford 256MB of DDR RAM. How different is this from 390MB of SDRAM? I know DDR is much better because its "wider" in terms of accomodating data. But really, whats the score on this?

Whyzman
02-14-2003, 12:24 PM
jose,

What I do with Regcleaner is go to Options>Registry Cleanup>Method>Manual. That way it will show you what it finds rather than just automatically fixing things....I just like to know what it found. It will automatically create a registry backup file if you leave the default settings alone...so, it's there for you in case something goes awry. I've not every had a problem following its use!

Then I go to: Tools>Registry Cleanup>Do Them All

Once it shows you what it finds you can take a peek (curiosity satisfier) and then dump the junk...

josemavicente
02-14-2003, 12:31 PM
thanks for the quick reply whyzman. ill try that tom, but now i gotta get some sleep!

last question -- does hibernating the computer (winxp) have the same effect as turning it off in terms of hogging memory? i mean, when you turn off the computer, you start it with a clean slate right, relative to starting from a hibernate? or does it really matter?

ski
02-14-2003, 12:45 PM
DDR performs faster than SDRAM.
If your MB is designed to use DDR and the 256MB of DDR can be installed along with the existing 390MB of SDRAM, then that will help matters.
However, if you can install the DDR only if the SDRAM is removed, then you will have less memory, which may degrade performance.

If you're putting the system in standby, then that's not the same as shutting down or restarting the system, as the contents of the memory are maintained and system resources are not freed up.

Budfred
02-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Please note about DDR RAM, you can't use it unless your motherboard supports it, it uses a different type of memory slot, so it won't even fit on the board.

If you are online, I would urge you to shut down almost any other program other than your AV program. You may be able to turn off any of the ones you mentioned, but there are a lot of other things running background which don't show up in the Task Bar and some things don't even show up in Task Manager. The link I posted earlier for Black Viper can give you a lot of suggestions for shutting down XP background stuff that you probably don't need.

Mark Miller
02-14-2003, 10:51 PM
I have been following this post and just want to add one thing 390mb of any kind of ram should run your pc fine. unless you have everything opened at the same time. I really don't think ram is the problem.
Mark