PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For Cooling?

drdan
02-12-2003, 02:32 PM
This is the same computer in the thread below about "Power Supply or Airflow". I ordered an Antec True 430 to replace the power supply. After seeing a couple of other threads here lately I'm concerned about overall heat with this PS, which is already too high. I have some pics here of the inside of my case.

1. I see there is a place on the front to mount another fan. Should that be an intake fan? Any particular type or brand?

2. Is that a generic CPU fan and heatsink? I was looking at the Thermalright SK-7 heatsink to replace it. What specific brand and type fan should I use with it, that newegg carries? If it needs to be lapped, what is the specific procedure to ensure check and ensure flatness?

3. Is there something I can or should do with the flat ribbon cables to help airflow?

http://drdansinfo.com/P2120002.JPG

http://drdansinfo.com/P2120007.JPG

http://drdansinfo.com/P2120121.JPG

drdan
02-12-2003, 02:43 PM
What about first checking, lapping if necessary and reinstalling the current heatsink and fan with Artic Silver III? And/or replacing just the CPU fan with a better one? That looks like a 60mm CPU fan. Will an 80mm fit?

Jiggy
02-12-2003, 06:25 PM
Hi drdan,

1. Yes an intake, also cut of the metal grills back and front from the case wich will help with air flow, use wire cutters. YS-Tech, Delta.

2. I use the Thermalright SLK800 with a 60mm Delta fan it moves a lot of air, im unsure on lapping.

3. Any spare leeds (molex/connectors) from the PSU that are not needed tie into the space you have above your cd-rom and tie back with cable ties/raps, also use cable ties/raps on the rest of the power leads to tidy them up. As for the IDE cables you could use gaffer/duck tape and stick them to the inside of the case not the door panels, or fold the IDE cables as tidy as possible then use cable ties/raps to hold them in place or you could buy round IDE cables or put them inbetween the floppy and hard drive.

Whyzman
02-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Jiggy mentioned the use of round cables. I suggestion definitely worth pursuing. It would help tremendously with ease of air movement.

Pete actually has used a procedure of cutting between the wires (I think in groups of 5) and then "stacking" and "bundling" with electrical tape to produce a "square-round" cable! "Teacher, teacher....what's on oxymoron?" :D Perhaps that was before the advent of round cables...or, with just way too much time on his hands! :rolleyes: :D They are relatively inexpensive these days...I use both the IDE and Floppy rounded ones.

Lapping is a pretty easy procedure and can be done on a piece of glass if a machinist's granite stone is not available to you. Best to obtain wet/dry automotive type of sandpaper. Keeping it wet works best and cuts fairly rapidly. I suggest starting with 320 grit (it'll let you know pretty quickly how far you are away from flat). I then use 400, 600, and if you're a bit anal retentive...go for the 1500 (yes, I've gone this far...hehe) for a near mirror finish. If like Pete you've way too much time on your hands (I know, that was pre-shop...LOL) you can finish things off with some jeweler's rouge. At that point, if you don't install it immediately, you can use it to check for stray food between your teeth...or if your Sweetie needs a quick make-up check...you'll be a hero! :p

I'd head for one of the 80mm heatsink fan combos. Those that are using them applaud their quietness and ability to move air. They're just not that expensive these days...

Here's a Thermalright option: http://www.thermalright.com/sk7.html

Budfred
02-12-2003, 08:27 PM
I agree on the intake fan at the bottom front of the case. I wouldn't worry too much about the flat cables as they seem largely out of the way and you have a lot of room in the case. If you want air to move more freely around the drives, I would go with round cables. I used a Thermaltake Volcano 7 on an AMD XP 1700+ and it seemed to be working well last time I checked. It is available at Newegg and inexpensive. For lapping, there was a thread recently about that and I would do a PCGuide search to find that and other info. You may not need to lap if the heatsink congtact surface is really flat and you use Arctic Silver.

BigBlue66
02-13-2003, 05:51 PM
Round cables for $3.75, Thermalright SK-7 for $20, YS-Tech 48cfm 80mm fan $8, all at www.svcompucycle.com.

Budfred
02-13-2003, 09:57 PM
I would urge you to check www.resellerratings.com before buying from Svcompucycle. I had a really bad experience with them and I am not alone. They sent several wrong items and didn't bother to respond to questions several times. They have great prices on some things, but I won't be doing business with them again....:(

drdan
02-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Well, I got the Antec True 430 installed. I was intimidated and confused about all the connections but I read someones post which something to the effect that if it fits it will work. I got it all hooked up and turned it on and everythng seems to be working. The computer seems like it's running smoother too. That's probably a combination of the quieter operation, the fact that it was late and I wasn't sharing the wireless DSL connection with anyone and a little "placebo" effect. Nothing went up in smoke either!

The noise change I was getting when the computer was working hard is gone. Whether it was the PS or just the PS fan I don't know for sure but I'm more confident with this PS. Plus this will be the base component to start gathering materials to build one myself finally. The temps seem about the same, 56-57C with the side cover off, so it doesn't appear to be affecting heat either way.

Next - case fans and CPU cooler.

drdan
02-15-2003, 07:55 PM
I put the Antec in and as I said in another thread the noise change when the computer was under load is gone. The temps seemed about the same with the side cover off but when I put the cover on the CPU temp went up to 64C within a few hours. I started thing about the airflow and popped the other side cover off instead. I removed the one by the panel the motherboard is connected too and left the first one on. The temp started dropping before my eyes and now stays at 55C even after being on all night and then put under load. I ordered two Sunon 2900rpm fans. Is there some way to mount one of them on the side near the motherboard to bring in outside air where it's needed most? Or is there any downside to just leaving that side cover off. It's the side toward the wall and hardly visible.

Budfred
02-15-2003, 09:42 PM
You could mod the side panel to accept the fan. Depending on your case, you can sometimes even find replacement panels that are already modded, but it would probably be easier to do it yourself if you are handy with tools. Leaving the cover off might be ok, but it can actually make the airflow less efficient. I would try the fans and see how the temp goes and then consider the mod if it still isn't good. There are a number of creative ways to set up the fans if needed.

Whyzman
02-15-2003, 11:48 PM
One other advantage to controlling the air flow is controlling the lint lagomorph population! Insidious creatures that find their way into every nook and cranny, although some folks might say they are warm and friendly...

Keeping the side of your case open might be considered a wide open invitation to inhabit...

I use air conditioning filter cut to fit my front fan port which has really been quite effective...

ZURKE
02-16-2003, 10:56 AM
I did the filter thing also, it shows up quickly how much it traps. I installed rounded IDE cable the other day(3 of them). My system temp. was around 89F and my CPU temp. was 93F when idling. It was cool enough I guess, but how low can you go. After installing my system temp. dropped to 82 and the drop on my CPU temp. I have to guess is from the drop in system temp., went down to 89F. I tryed to set my air flow so that I evacuated the the warmer air over the shortest distance. I have tied back, repositioned, retied and tied again the harnesses in my case it never ends. But I like it that way.

Budfred
02-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Well you can certainly go cooler with fancy cooling equipment, but you have already achieved enviable temps. 93F means that the CPU would feel slightly cool to the touch and below 90F is excellent.