PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 Explorer

cvcollins
02-14-2003, 07:04 PM
I needed to work on a system with Win2000, which I do not use. When I went to use Windows Explorer to do some file management, I found that most of the middle of my screen was taken up by this useless large section that provided me with no information that I didnít already know. Except for some Blue Links to somewhere I didnít want to go.

I donít know what it is called, therefore I could not get any help from F1 to figure how to make it go away and look like Win98 Explorer.

Please help.

Paul Komski
02-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi. Windows Explorer should look almost identical in Windows 2000 - so it's a bit confusing as to what you are seeing. Does the same thing happen if you R-Click on MyComputer and select explore, which is just another way of opening WE.

cvcollins
02-15-2003, 12:21 AM
I won't get back to that machine until Tuesday. All I can tell you is that with the systems Iím familiar with, in the left pane are the Folders and in the right pane would be either Icons, Thumbnails, or my personal favorite Detail file information (name, size, date, type).

Windows 2000 has on the left-hand side of the right pane a large Folder Icon with other graphics and 2 or 3 Links to something else. My file details are pushed over to the right-hand side of the screen and I have to scroll horizontally to see the size or dates.

I usually call Explorer from the keyboard with Window Key-E.

If I donít get an answer by next week, Iíll send you a picture.

Budfred
02-15-2003, 01:10 AM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

Have you checked your View settings? Win2K gives you its own version, but you can customize back to the same kind of windows you had in Win98.

Paul Komski
02-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Left pane shows folders (or can be changed to search, history etc, or can be hidden)

Right pane can be classic view (just the files/attributes) or web wiew (large icon and blue links on left side and files/attributes on right side).

Sounds like you are used to seeing classic view. Go to Tools>>Folder Options>>General and check the "Use Windows classic folders" to see if this gives you what you are used to.

The columns for the file attributes can be customised for both default size and content from View>>ChooseColumns. They can also be resized by dragging their borders on the column headers. The left part of the right pane may also be hidden if the whole window is resized downwards to a certain point.

PS The "useless" middle section will display individual file information as well as the actual thumbnails if the program associated with the file extension enables this.

Once you have got a folder to your favorite way of viewing it (with details and so on) then go to Tools>>FolderOptions>>View and click the button "Like Current Folder": this will change all the folders to details view - except specific picture folders which will still display them as pics.

cvcollins
02-20-2003, 01:38 PM
Paul:

Thank you very much. "Use Windows Classic" was the answer I was looking for. I'm a conservative. I don't like change for change's sake.

Thanks Again