PDA

View Full Version : folders open in search mode

chewychewy
02-15-2003, 12:22 AM
If i double click a folder icon in XP everytime it opens in search mode. I just want to change it to open in "open" mode like it usually does. Any ideas?

Budfred
02-15-2003, 01:07 AM
I would check your file preferences first. Have you made any changes to your install? If you have, you probably need to just change it back. If you haven't, there may be something wrong with your install. If the latter, I would run the repair utility from the XP CD.

chewychewy
02-15-2003, 09:43 AM
i didnt make changes it just started happening one day. But I dont have an XP cd all i have is a recovery CD

chewychewy
02-15-2003, 01:48 PM
now it just started opening the file in command view! What is going on?

Budfred
02-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Depending on how your recovery CD works, it may allow you to access the Repair function. I have a recovery CD for my HP that will completely restore an install, which wipes out everything I have set up currently, or it allows me to use it selectively, particularly with Windoze. I would try the Restore CD at boot and see what your options are. It sounds like your install has become corrupted and thus I would also encourage doing an updated deep virus scan, a spyware scan and a trojan scan. If you don't already have programs for this, you can find them in mjc's security thread here:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15179

Paul Komski
02-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Your file/folder options appear to have been affected. If you RClick on a folder the usual list starts open explore and search. Open is usually the default and is therefore bold.

Whether it is bold or not - does clicking on Open open the folder normally?

Open a folder or MyComputer (in any view) and from Tools<>FolderOptions<>FileTypes find the file type called Folder and click on advanced. If none of the options are in bold try selecting open and explore and then click "Set default". Then return and see if either of these settings corrects your problem.

If not it does sound as if your registry has been corrupted.

PS Have you been using TweakUI or any other power toys?? And when you say it opens in Command view this is presumably a command prompt with the cusor set at the folder you have tried to open. Normally this is only added to the RClick shortcut menu with the use of a power toy or by entering cmd in the run box.