PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player 9.0 script error

Looboo
02-15-2003, 08:51 AM
I have downloaded WMP 9.0 on two different occasions and each time I try to launch it through the internet I get the following script error:

Line 67
Character 9
invalid character
Code 0
Then I get this URL:

http://windowsmedia.com/mg/home.asp?WMPFriendly=true&Partner=Sony%20Electronics%20Inc.&locale=409&version=9.0.0.2980

This error message asks me if I want to continue and what ever I select, it keeps returning until I must force quit the program. My only alternative has been to use system restore to uninstall this. I have disabled firewall, but that didn't help either. Any suggestions here?

Thanks

Paul Komski
02-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Is this a download from MS Update site or other site and presumably you are using IE? It's not quite clear at which exact point you are getting this error message.

Tools<>InternetOptions<>Advanced<>Browsing and then Check "Disable Script Debugging" and Uncheck "Display a notification about every script error" might allow you to proceed.

Fruss Tray Ted
02-16-2003, 10:03 PM
What do you mean by 'launch it through the internet'? Did you successfully download it? Then did you close all running apps before installing it?

Does it play audio/video files ok?

Looboo
02-17-2003, 09:07 AM
It was downloaded from Microsoft. -and I never really tried to see if it played any music, since I was just starting it up right after it had been downloaded. I really did not try to launch it off line, but I would assume that it probably works okay. Disable script error is checked and show every error is unchecked- so that does not seem to be the problem. I did install it with all other apps closed.

I discovered something else, as well. Just now I opened version 8.0 while I was replying to this message, and got the same script error with that program, too. I selected "yes" and then the screen showed me the "windowsmedia.com" page, but some of the graphics didn't load. The difference with 8.0 was that the script error message only appeared once, while with 9.0 it keeps coming back, forcing me to force quit. Since wmp 8.0 is acting like a browser, I selected something from the page, and before the page appeared, the script error message came up again. I selected "yes" and the script error did not return.

Obviously I must have some kind of conflict within my system, since this problem is not related to version of the program.

Now I am back to square one.

mjc
02-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Your problem is not WiMP, but IE.

MediaPlayer uses IE for the browinsg functions, so your underlying problem is in IE.

A couple of things to try are, depending on what kind of scripting error you are having, update the MS JVM to the latest version, update Windows Scripting Host to the latest version, repair IE, and turn off Script debugging.

The updates can be found on the Windows update site, may need some searching, and I would try to grab the manual update packs.

To repair IE, you select IE in Add/Remove programs and instead selecting remove (which would take you back to a previous version) select repair.

To disable script debugging/script error messages go to Internet Options, under the Browsing section, put a check next "disable script debugging) and uncheck "Display a notification about every script error"

Looboo
02-17-2003, 12:57 PM
I don't know how to repair IE within Windows XP, since it is part of the system. I also did not know how to find out if I have the latest Java or scripting programs. I used to get regular Windows auto updates, but that no longer happens since I installed service pack 1. I am also unable to scan for updates since installing service pack 1. It seems as though many have that same problem since installing service pack 1.

I also have updated to IE service pack as well.

I am going to keep looking in the MS database. I see where the problem would be with IE and not WMP.

Thanks

Paul Komski
02-17-2003, 03:09 PM
To "repair" see http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm

The faulty script is probably a javascript and if the url is a WMP one that would be surprising.

This type of error can also occur when you have been "hijacked", typically by using Kazaa, so could be worth running adaware and/or spybot search and destroy.

What happens if you say "NO" so that further scripts are not run on the relevant page?

Some scripting errors can keep repeating (say in response to a mouse movement or hover) so it could also be worth moving the cursor outside the page in question and then press Enter (for Yes) or Esc (for No) rather than using the mouse at this point.

Do you have cookies enabled? Unlikely to be the cause - but if not try enabling them.

Mark Miller
02-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey Paul,
Quick question. I went to that elder geek site about ie6 repair, all well and good but what if you do not have XP cd. This HP came with 7 repair disks which I think is a different thing. Also ie6 is not in add/remove section but add/remove win components , is this the same thing?
I am sure lots of people with fairly new computers in same place, do you know of any options or is there a thread in the forums about this?
Mark

Paul Komski
02-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Perhaps the CD isn't required since the cab files etc may have been copied to the HDD. You could try the "Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu" and if it goes ahead all and well; if you are prompted to insert the install CD just cancel it and we'll see if there is another method.

There's another thread at http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_reinstall_ie_and_oe_6.htm with a couple of methods. SFC /scannow will also need the CD and the other method involves hacking the registry and downloading/reinstalling IE6.

Mark Miller
02-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks Paul ,it was a hypothetical question but I had seen many people say to repair from add/ remove so I was curious. Thanks for quick reply.
Mark:)

Paul Komski
02-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Yep. IE6 is sooo integral to the OS that repairing or removing it is really problematic and quite unlike earlier versions. The other way possibly (with XP) would be to repair the whole XP installation.

Mark Miller
02-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Just as a follow up I looked this up on the MS knowledge base. They say the same thing to repair from the add/remove program section, now I wonder if they mean from the add/remove win section since as I have said ie6 is not in the program section. Confusing.
Mark:confused:

Looboo
02-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Well, I tried everything that was suggested, and so far no luck. I was unable to install a file called inf, as suggested by the site you recommended. I don't have an XP CD.

When I select "no" in the script error, the wmp continues to show its homepage.

This is not serious for me to deal with; it's just a puzzle that I am frustrated with for not solving.

sea69
02-17-2003, 06:40 PM
I suggest a system restore point to before your ill-fated download- or has that been attempted?

;)

Looboo
02-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Yea, I did the system restore to uninstall wmp 9.0, not knowing it was an explorer problem. The script error problem with version 8.0 may have been present for months, since I don't use the program that much when online. It was only when upgrading to 9.0 that it was discovered. The difference between the two is that the latter script error never ends, where the 8.0 error only occurs once.

Paul Komski
02-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Just for info: IE6, having been upgraded to, can be repaired from earlier versions of windows by going to Add/Remove just as previously. In XP one has to resort to other actions - notably sfc, reg hacks plus reinstall IE6, use of restore points or various reinstalls of WinXP itself http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

Have never found repairing IE to be very or ever effective in any case. Usually when corruption has occured it is a sign of other impending problems. Unfortunately litepc don't (yet) have an IEradicator for XP that I have heard about.

Reinstalling WinXP (over - as an upgrade or as a repair) is much easier if XP was not preinstalled and one has an install CD. It can also lead to data loss unless SP1 has also been installed, owing to a bug in some earlier versions; product reactivation may also be necessary.

Are you sure you have excluded SPYWARE since even if IE is having this "problem" with a script error - that should be an unlikely event when normally accessing a MS site using IE?

Final -grasping at straws - thought (since this is an invalid character) is what setting is showing in IE on the View<>Encoding menu? You could try setting this to WesternEuropean ISO and Windows, Unicode (UTF-8) or Auto-Select.

Looboo
02-18-2003, 08:08 AM
Yes, I did run Adaware a few times.- Also changed encoding as you suggested, but answer this- why do I only get the script error when viewing Windowsmedia.com through the WMP and I don't get a script error if I go to that site directly through IE? That's what made me believe the problem was with WMP.

Thanks

rahulkothari
02-18-2003, 08:59 AM
In Media plyr 9,
Goto tools > options > security

Uncheck 'run script commands when present'

... though i dont think tis is the solution coz M$s own site shd work well, but try it anywez... u never know with M$ products.. :D

Looboo
02-18-2003, 09:26 AM
I found the conflict- and how embarrassing. Never thinking that an internet blocking program would cause a script error, I disabled "NetNanny", a program I use for my children, and the rest is history- no more script error. I just didn't think that this would cause the problem, since I just get a blocked page message when NetNanny is working, or sometimes an "xxxx" to delete certain words.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the suggestions, and the at least I checked everything else out. Sorry for the inconvenience. The knowledge that you have about the systems is amazing, and I appreciate your efforts.

Bill