PDA

View Full Version : win98?

no2like
02-15-2003, 03:35 PM
why is it that all of a sudden evrything I was doing freezes up,only to work again after a while,then freezes up again and so forth.I does it with all of my programs or pages that I downloaded to check.What is causing this.I use win 98

Budfred
02-15-2003, 03:50 PM
When that has happened to me, it is usually because of something running in the background or something that was running and left some bit of itself to interfere when I shut it down. For the first problem I usually try to keep things running in the background to a minimum so it is less likely to be a problem. For the second problem I will either use Task Manager to shut things down or I will reboot and start fresh.

no2like
02-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Budfred.
here is what I have running in my startup:
taskbar display controls
msnmsgr
nprotect
nav agent
task monitor
still image monitor
scheduling agent
I also have my norton anti virus running all the time.
I rebooted without any change.It still does the same thing

Reid
02-15-2003, 06:45 PM
You could try running msconfig and disable some of the programs under Startup and see if you can isolate what, if any, program might be slowing things down.

pentachris
02-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Here's (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/win98/maintain/first.asp) a page that I've used many times to deal with Windows 98 installations that slow down.

With no more information to work with than what you've given, I'd suspect a highly fragmented swap file.

How old is the installation? When was the last time you ran defrag? (No, simply running defrag won't defrag the swap file - not without doing a few things that are mentioned in the article I referenced...)

It may be time for a good system cleaning or, possibly (especially if a lot of programs have been installed and uninstalled), a backup and reinstall.

Budfred
02-15-2003, 08:39 PM
To use msconfig to do that, you would disable everything except Explorer and Systray and then reboot in Selective Startup mode. If the problem doesn't happen, it was probably one of the startup programs causing it. Then go into msconfig, reenable one program at a time and keep rebooting until the problem happens again. If you still have the problem with a minimal startup, then it may be something that is running more invisibly in the background. You can download Startup List from the link in mjc's security thread to find out what is there.