PDA

View Full Version : Windows registry

Hermione
02-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi,

When I run "regedit" I no longer see any values in the "name" field. I am looking for a value in some softare in the path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software etc.

I recall seeing values in the "name" field before, and I'm baffled by this - am I being completely dumb?

OS is Windows ME, System Restore is currently OFF.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ski
02-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Did you click on the + next to each key in the left screen until an key appears that has no + next to it, and then highlight that key?

Does this happen for all keys that do not have a + next to them?

Hermione
02-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Thanks for replying - to answer your question, yes, I am following the sequence of identifiers to the end, and there are no values at all in the "name" field for any of the registry files. I thought it might be a "view" thing, as I have seen these values before?

In the right-hand panel, all I see is a column headed "name", and there are no values shown there. It's not just the key I was looking for, either - there are no values shown in the right-hand panel for any of the registry files.

ski
02-17-2003, 12:41 PM
If you're having problems with Windows and you're using Win 98, then restart in MS-DOS mode, type scanreg/restore at the C:\> prompt, press Enter, and select a previous version of the Registry.

If you're not having any problems, then 'If it ain't broke....'

Hermione
02-17-2003, 12:45 PM
I'm using Windows ME, but the point is that I have seen these values before, and cannot see them now. I don't think anything is broken, I think there may be a problem with how I'm viewing the information, but I don't know enough about the registry to know what.

ski
02-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Does it happen with the entire contents of the Registry?

Hermione
02-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Yes, that's the problem - there are no values listed in the right-hand side panel (headed "name") for the entire registry. The values must exist, but I can't see them.

Hermione
02-17-2003, 03:50 PM
OK, I just checked on another machine, and the problem seems to be that the "type" and "data" columns are actually missing. Does anyone know how to restore them? There is no visible divider, and no horizontal scrollbar.

tommy
02-18-2003, 02:31 AM
Sounds like someone accidentally moved he vertical column separator all the way to the right.

Try pointing to the extreme right hand side of the screen. You should see a short horizontal line with an arrow at each end (you may not see the right hand arrow). When you see that line, move it to the left. That should move the vertical separator so you can view the missing columns.

On second thought, an easier way would be to open REGEDIT, and under view click on SPLIT. That should position the cursor and show the horizontal line with the arrows. Then just move it to the left.:)

Hermione
02-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Nope - I'm the only user, and I'm certain this wasn't due to moving the column dividers manually. The column width defaults got messed up somehow - no amount of fertling around looking for dividers got any result.

It had been about 9 months since I did a clean install of Windows - it was falling over a lot (unlikely to be a virus - I run NIS fully up to date) so I bit the bullet and formatted. Sort of cracking a nut with a sledgehammer, but hey, the column widths in the registry editor are back to normal and Windows is working marginally better! Who could ask for more?! :D

Thanks for the replies anyhoo.