PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up in Internet Explorer

mike2002
02-17-2003, 09:07 AM
I'm sure many of you will have experienced this annoying)not so much a 'pop-up'as a 'slide-on') warning message that appears on web pages.
(See screen shot). It plants itself right in the middle of the screen,
obliterating any text etc. It can be halted by pressing the Stop button, but will re-appear on subsequent pages on the site. Is there any other way of dealing with this?

rahulkothari
02-17-2003, 09:18 AM
have u tried using Opera browser ? i dunno whether such 'slide-ons' are blocked by it, but give it a try anywez. its a good browser, can stop popups.

or post the name of the site where u see such slideons and i will try opening it in opera... will post back the results.

YODA74
02-17-2003, 09:41 AM
have you tried a pop up blocker?

jabarnutcase
02-17-2003, 10:15 AM
In agreement with both replies....A browser with a built in blocker, or "Pop-up stopper" or something similar.

If I don't have my Pop-up stopper enabled for some reason, I just ignore it...What ever you do, don't click "OK" or your liable to see more pop-ups than you ever dreamed of! :p

mjc
02-17-2003, 12:06 PM
That is such a bogus ad anyway, no IP = no connection.

Popup blockers are probably the order of the day, but it would not be a bad idea to run SpyBot Search & Destroy, because you could have something like Gator forcefeeding you those popups. (link is in my sig)

mike2002
02-17-2003, 01:21 PM
I couldn't remember whether I tried a Popup Stopper on it, or the site where I saw it, but I eventually found an instance of it. I'm using
'Yoconsoft PopupRemover v.1.0', and, while it effectively stops other pop-ups, it made no difference to this one? Is it a true 'popup?
The trouble with a popup stopper is that it quite often prevent some pages from loading from a link. Has anyone succeeded in halting this nuisance? I can't see the point of it as, unlike a normal pop-up, it sits on the screen thus preventing the user from reading what's underneath it.
jabarnutcase: Clicking on it is not as disasterous as you make out, I wasn't beseiged with moore pop-ups, just a single page.
:mad:

mike2002
02-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Have discovered that, with the 'alert' message on-screen, and pop-ups
'disabled', it prevents the next page from loading when you click on the alert. The site it appeared on was a Software Download site, giving details of the download links. But you are prevented from reading the info! So what's the sense of it in that situation?

:mad:

mjc
02-17-2003, 02:25 PM
What software site?

It is probably not worth going to if it is the case.

mike2002
02-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi mjc. The site in question (but there are others no doubt) is
www.downseek.com
When the page loads, click on 'Downseek Directory', then (say) 'CD Burning', under 'System Tools'. For a few seconds nothing happens, but you'll see it...!!!

;)

Budfred
02-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Did you try running Spybot and/or AdAware?? I don't have a problem with this nasty even when I am in Netscape 4.8 which has no popup stopping power. This suggests that it may have downloaded something into your system that allows it to intrude on you.

Reid
02-17-2003, 09:26 PM
The site in question is www.downseek.com
When the page loads, click on 'Downseek Directory', then (say) 'CD Burning', under 'System Tools'. For a few seconds nothing happens, but you'll see it...!!!
With AdSubtract enabled, it says it blocked three cookies and five Java scripts on just one visit to the above link (using IE6). When I disabled AdSubtract, an ad slipped in.

sleddog
02-17-2003, 10:24 PM
This is not a popup. It's done with Javascript. Disable javascript to avoid it. Budfred doesn't see it because either he has javascript disabled or the netscape dinosaur :) doesn't support the functions used.

mjc
02-18-2003, 01:29 AM
The script I read indicates that a Fastclick popunder is loaded.

Also wants to set a cookie, probably fastclick.

Fastclick is an ad company that like Doubleclick can track browsing.

All in all that is not a very good download site.