PDA

View Full Version : win98 safe mode in a dual-boot setup

alex666
02-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Last summer, I built my first computer. I clean installed win98se, and then clean installed winXP home, and during the installation of the latter, I setup a dual-boot setup (winxp-win98se, with the former as default). It has worked just fine. However, I want to get into win98se safemode and am unable to do so.

This is what happens. When the computer boots up, you are given the os option (WIndows XP or "Windows" for win98se), along with an option to hit F8 for advanced options, one of which is safe mode. You select F8, then safe mode, and then you again get the choice of either "Windows" or winxp (and at the bottom of the screen it says "safemode" in blue letters). If you select winxp, it boots into winxp safemode jut fine. However, if you choose "Windows" (win98), it just goes into a normal win98se boot. So, I cannot get into win98se safemode. I'm kind of out of ideas, and am not finding any quick solutions to this. Help. Thanks.

Marty
Verona, VA

Jhorner1
02-18-2003, 01:46 PM
My system has 98se and 2000. This should work the same for your setup.
To get into 98se safe mode, when you first start your computer (or reboot), select windows, then as soon as 98se starts hit F8.

Steve
02-18-2003, 02:28 PM
What Jhorner1 suggested should work. If you still have problems try tapping F5 after choosing win98.

alex666
02-18-2003, 04:19 PM
jHorner and Steve, before starting this thread, I had tried hitting F8, but to no avail. So I tried again after reading your posts, no change. Then I tried it perhaps (and quite literally) .25 sec faster, and that was the difference. Then I went back and tried again, and I missed it, too slow, like I said, by probably .25 sec. To get that win98 menu option screen, you've got to be quick. Anyway, I'm in. Thanks guys.

Marty
Verona, VA