PDA

View Full Version : Lazy question re 98SE, bootlog, & fonts

kayofcircles
02-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Last year, my beloved built me a faster puter but we had so many difficulties with it that we gave up on it, and I just went back to older. We recently (and very belatedly..:D) purchased SE, and I had thought a year ago that the new mobo..MSI..didn't seem to "like" 98. So far, that seems to be a valid suspicion because we are having no real problems this time (ta da!:)..but I am getting a bunch of fonts failing to load, and was hoping that someone here has a link to fixing the Fonts stuff in their Favorites (or similar) folder? I know I saw a thread or two on this problem, but can't find anything in my Favorites. Did do a Google this morning, but gave up on page 3 of results. So?? Sorry about the lazy part..but is easier to just ask..lol No rush..going to go and do some more "other" stuff on newer in the meantime. Oh, by the by, we bought a fancy US Robotics Performance Pro (good deal at newegg) for my newer that I have great hopes for...lol..maybe I can actually get a wee bit faster than 26,400 bps!:D

Fruss Tray Ted
02-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Kay,
Not sure this'll help or if it's what you're after but I think there's some font related stuff in some of the service paks for W98SE at the MS download site. Same place as where you can upgrade to IE5.5 etc.

What exactly 'won't load'? Are you talking about sans serif and times new Roman and such in WordPad or NotePad and other document templates?

Did you do a custom install of 98SE or pick one of the generic prepicked by MS versions near the start of the install? I think there's 3 options: compact, standard and custom. I browsed add/remove on my disk but couldn't find anything there.

Oh and 26400bps i s r e a l l y s l o w . . . hope the new modem helps but it's probably your phone lines.

sleddog
02-19-2003, 07:22 AM
If some fonts do not display correctly, then the first step is to remove and re-install those fonts.

If your on a 28.8 modem then a 26.4 connection speed is not at all unusual. It usually means your phone line is less than perfect. Your new modem may indeed get you more speed. When I connect from home on a 28.8 modem I frequently get a 26.4 connection; when I connnect using a 56K modem I usually get a ~45K connection.

kayofcircles
02-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Fruss: Yes, we did a custom install..with me peering over his shoulder saying things like "Yes, I need Clipboard Viewer, but not that character map thing." And yes, is a list of particular type fonts like you mentioned..think all say "error code 0016". Since I will probably be deleting a bunch of fonts I never needed or use..it's likely that most of them will be toast anyway..but I do remember threads on fonts failures..and thought that one said something about deleting the entire Fonts folder and letting Windows reinstall it or something, but obviously not going to do anything that drastic without advice.

sleddog: We've tried a number of modems..all 56K..including a Modem Blaster that neither one of us liked..and still stuck at 26.4. It is the phone lines..BUT I read a customer review on the Performance Pro, and he said that he thought he would never get faster out of his ancient phone lines, but did get faster! So, have fingers crossed.

Thanks both..don't think Font thing is a big deal, and will check MSKB. Just being lazy.

BigBlue66
02-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Kay , the USR Perf Pro Modem is what I've been using in recent years. It's one of the best out there, but as already pointed out, if your phone lines aren't up to the task, you won't connect any faster. I assume that you have checked your phone lines for 56K compatibility? There is a website, I think at USR, that you can go to that will test your phone line for compatibility, but I don't have the URL handy.

In recent months, I have shied away from the PCI modem and gone with a USR 56K External Fax modem. Connects first time, every time and at decent speeds. You can get one for the same price as the Perf Pro, and I would suggest that if you have a serial port and you can still return the Perf Pro, take it back and trade it for the external modem.

Another tip for good connection speeds is to not use a phone cord longer than 15 feet, and don't use splitters if you can avoid it. I believe you already have the high speed modem cable made by Belkin, right?

Paul Komski
02-19-2003, 10:06 PM
TweakUI has a Repair Fonts Folder amongst its utilities, whether that helps or not.

Interesting re Modem Blaster. I recently got both a PCI V92 Modem Blaster and a Serial v92 Diamond Supra Express and like you Kay I have terrible lines and am out in the country. Both "connect at" about 28-32K most of the time, though the Modem Blaster (Conexant) was no good until I reduced the FIFO buffers. It now outperforms the hardware modem by a mile. Pages in Opera, for example, download (in a continuous stream) at about 4+KBytes/sec with the tweaked PCI but at about 1.5-2KBytes/sec (in fits and starts) on the external modem; and with both "connected at" the same 30kbs or baud rate.

The "connect at" is a very misleading value as to performance since it gives no indication as to how well the two modems are communicating with each other. In fact, when I occasionally manage to "connect at" 40+ I groan because I know there will be a bad connection and downloading will be slow. It's no good having a "fast" connection if the information has to be resent again and again and if the buffers are overflowing because the modems' conversations are garbled.

The other great thing is that I now, at last, have a v92 which warns me of an incoming phone call by using call waiting even though the ISPs have not yet upgraded to v92.

sleddog
02-20-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Paul Komski
In fact, when I occasionally manage to "connect at" 40+ I groan because I know there will be a bad connection and downloading will be slow.

You can set a 'maximum connection speed' in the modem initialization string. I don't recall the exact string but I'm sure you'll find it either in your modem manual or on the web.

I used to connect from a location with horrible lines, using a USR Sportster 28.8 external. To maintain a link and get any kind of throughput I had to set a max connect speed of 16.8 :) Otherwise it would usually connect at 19.2 or 21.6 and be unusable.

kayofcircles
02-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Well, feeling cranky right this minute. Went to MSKB first thing to look for the fonts thingy..no joy. Went back to Google, and checked on a thread at another forum..same problem..but no resolution on it..so again, no joy. Post there did say that they tried TweakUI and it didn't work, and reinstalling 98SE didn't work either. And the only person who responded to question had a MSKB link for 95 that basically said to uninstall the ttf-something in Safe mode, and it would automatically rebuild when booting normally..but that's for 95. Need to look further later.

Yesterday, I installed ZA, checked settings all over, everything looks good except for some puzzles..like the modem is on Com5 (what Com 5?) but Com 5 reading okay in Device Manager, as is the modem. Every time I try going online..it says the line is busy (which it isn't, because can go online with other puter), and I am not hearing any "dialing" but don't know if that's normal for that modem. Everything is the same as the puter I am currently "fussing" here with, but maybe it is not supposed to be the same. Tried going to USR, but they're "improving" their KB, and it's not available, and they suggest going to "support" where the first thing they want is the product code that my beloved didn't write anywhere that I can find....merph.

The Modem Blaster we had, and didn't particularly like, was external. Didn't get better speeds...so mostly just a personal thing in that we preferred the internal if it wasn't going to make any difference anyway.

Big Blue: I guess I am really going to have to try harder to stay up to speed. I remembered your recommendation about the Performance Pro, and that's largely WHY we got it! Sigh..so now you have moved on...sniffle. And yes, we also bought the phone cord gizmo you recommended long ago.

Appreciate input (thanks all)..although, this morning, I honestly don't care about the speed of connection..I just want the connection! Going to go and see if I can find any help on the USR installation CD, and then later find out what hubby did with product code.

mjc
02-20-2003, 11:54 AM
kay, the ttf cache is also in 98, so the suggestion for 95 will probably work, too. (probably work on any 9x version)

kayofcircles
02-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks, mjc...will give that a try right after I get past the modem or networking or whatever problem. Going off now to do that.

Budfred
02-20-2003, 12:15 PM
There is a good chance that you can find the product code on the modem itself, it is probably something that you can find that way since many people don't keep other documentation when they open the box.

As for COM5, this is a virtual COM port and is probably why things aren't working. I had trouble with a COM4 like this and I am not sure how I fixed it ultimately, but it had something to do with removing COM2 in the BIOS. I think I Removed the device in Device Manager, uninstalled the drivers and removed COM2. Then reinstalled the drivers and it worked. I am not sure, so you may want to wait until someone else who knows more about it shows up.

BigBlue66
02-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Yes, Budfred is onto something here.

Kay , it's normal for the Perf Pro to use COM5 in 98 and 98SE. But, in order for the resources to be there for it, you must disable COM2 in BIOS. Then, you should be good to go.

BigBlue66
02-20-2003, 01:16 PM
I should back up a second here and tell you to remove all instances of COM2 in Device Manager first. Then, reboot and immediately go into BIOS setup and disable COM2 (Serial Port 2).

Nope, I haven't completely moved on Kay. I'm using the external modems on both home machines, but am still using a V.92 PCI Perf Pro modem in my backup machine at work. I will also be installing my old V.90 PCI Perf Pro modem in a machine I'm building for a co-worker's kid.

Take a deep breath, Kay. Do what I recommended and you should be online in no time.

kayofcircles
02-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks..I have taken one step forward by getting online with it (right now), but two steps back in the sense that my connection speed is now down to 21,600...sob. However, I said above that I wanted "connection" and I do have that. There were some things in DialUp settings that were wrong..like "pulse" instead of "tone" and think it was in Modem settings or somewhere that I found that page about "additional devices" that is blank in old puter, but had the USR modem listed as an additional device. But, getting tired this morning and need to move on to other things..and it's snowing! Way cool, we need whatever wet stuff we can get.

Thanks, BB..pretty sure that Com2 is NOT listed in Device Manager..I know I saw Com 1 and Com 5 and it was reporting both as working properly. But will check, and check BIOS.

Pianorak
02-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Paul Komski
In fact, when I occasionally manage to "connect at" 40+ I groan because I know there will be a bad connection and downloading will be slow.

I don't wish to hijack Kay's thread, but I too get occasionally "connected at" 40+ in which case there will be NO connection to a website and of course no downloading (although I can send and receive email). In fact, unless my initial connection is at 115,200 bps I just disconnect and redial until I get the requisite speed.

That said the above applies to my desktop. My laptop never connects at 115,200 bps and will happily connect to any website at a "mere" 40+. Odd or just normal? :confused: :rolleyes: