PDA

View Full Version : BIOS, OS, & device manager

cronus1914
02-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Okay, 2 questions.

1.) I know the BIOS & OS configures your PnP hardware automatically but if I wanted to do something like change a device's IRQ, how would I do that manually?

2.) If you remove a device using the device manager, does that automatically remove all the device's associated drivers as well?

BiLL

malcore
02-18-2003, 03:10 PM
1. Done through the bios. How depends on what BIOS. Easy way is to change PCI slots if it is a PCI card. Check your mobo manual or browse through your BIOS to find options for this.

2. No. For add-in cards that the drivers are not loaded automatically by the OS(cd-roms etc. are loaded automatically), you need to remove the drivers through add/remove programs.

YODA74
02-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Within Device Manager locate the device that you would like to change.
Double click the device to open the devices properties. Click the Resources tab.
Uncheck the "Use automatic settings" option (this may vary depending upon the version of windows you are running however will be similar).
Either attempt to change the Settings based on or double click the resource type that you would like to change.Not sure if this will work for you ??
This is some good reading on resolving hardware conflicts

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/conflict.htm
Some others will have some more info I'm sure :)