PDA

View Full Version : a boot in the rear.....

Big Daddy
02-19-2003, 03:26 PM
We put together a new system using parts from an older machine. Everything went great. We used the old hard drive and loaded the drivers for the different motherboard. We are using Windows 98 SE from the original machine so he wouldn't lose all his junk.

Now when the system boots it sometimes stops at the C: prompt and just hangs. We reboot and go into safe mood. We shut down and boot again with success. It does not do this every time. Any suggestions on what we can do to fix this?

AMD Anthlon XP1600
ECS K7V5S (?) not sure of model of motherboard
256 MB PC133
onboard sound
nVida TNT 64 32MB video
DVD
modem

Thanks in advance for the help....

mjc
02-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Try to narrow down when it doesn't completely boot....does it do it when first powering on, but not on a reboot?

If so, it could be the board is going to fast for the hard drive. Try going into the BIOS and disabling the QuickPOST (or something similar).

dtbtmtjt
02-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Tried the quick boot change and it still had the problem. It now will not start up if you click on the restart instead of shutdown. I tried a scandisk but got an error message about not enough memory. I tried the DVD and the system hung up. Any help will be appreciated.

Big Daddy
02-24-2003, 11:35 AM
AKA DTBTMTJT

We purchased a new hard drive and everything seems to be a little better. We are able to do a scandisk. It still hung up during bootup (powering the machine off) but only once. We can do restarts now too. It hung up using the DVD player as an audio player. It seemed it couldn't determine what media device to use. After ending the task and manually selecting the C-Media player, everything was fine. I did notice in the task list there were 2 Rundll32 listed. Is that normal?

Our next option if the problem continues is to reload Window 98SE over the top of the current one.

Again thanks for all the help......

YODA74
02-24-2003, 06:02 PM
2 Rundll32 listed. Is that normal? No

Our next option if the problem continues is to reload Window 98SE over the top of the current one.

Not a good idea running windows over top of windows what ever problems your haveing will just come back 3 fold Do a fresh install

ErnieK
02-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Big Daddy
Have you tried doing a diagnostic startup? (Run & then type MSCONFIG and then select diagnostic startup) This will disable everything except for the vitals for booting the computer. If you can get clean boot try this for short while and then re-enable the disable items one at a time.

Also agree with Yoda on the over-install. Very painful on the head and lots of hole to fill in the wall when even more goes wrong. :)

Big Daddy
03-03-2003, 12:07 PM
I finally came up with the right solution....I upgraded to Win2000 and all the problems went away. The machine is now humming along. It shuts down every time and starts right back up. It is not hunging up at all. In fact, the drawer for the DVD player even opens faster (normal speed). He didn't lose any data, so he is very happy.....

Thanks again for the help and advice......