PDA

View Full Version : Folder Views in Windows 98SE

mike2002
02-20-2003, 08:02 AM
It takes a lot of fiddling to get Windows Folder Views to stay put. Despite repeatedly following the routine as set down by Windows, most times it seems more like luck than judgement. My Folder Views eventually stayed as I had set them, all apart from the Browse function, where they would list Alphabetically instead of By Type. JPEG images would be scattered around instead of being listed together. But suddenly the Browse view reverted to the way I wanted it to and has stayed that way!
However, This Aphabetical view still persists if I go to Start/Find/Files and Folders. There're all scattered around, and I prefer to see them listed 'By Type'. If I reset them from the same screen, they revert back on the very next search.
Possibly it's a corruption of sorts, and maybe a complete re-install would cure it. But as it's not life-threatening I'll leave it until things get drastic!

ski
02-20-2003, 08:56 AM
See if the following stabilizes the folder view(excl. perhaps Find/Files or Folders):

Open Explorer or My Computer, select the desired folder view, click View/Folder Options/View/Like Current View, click Yes to the warning, click OK, then press and hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the x in the upper right corner of the window.

If that does not work, then go to Start/Run, type regedit, click OK, click on the + next to each of the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies, then click on Explorer.
If there is a value in the right side of the window called NoSaveSettings with a value of 1, then right click on it, click Modify, change it to 0, click OK, and exit regedit.

mike2002
02-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi ski. My Folder Views are currently stable (although there's always
the odd momment that they suddenly 'revert' for no apparent reason).
My 'NoSaveSettings' are all zeros, and, as you said, it doesn't affect the Find/Files or Folders option. I wonder why?
Thanks again.

sleddog
02-20-2003, 09:41 AM
I've forgotten the details and lost the link decribing it, but this has been a problem with all Windows 9x versions. From what I do remember, there is a fixed limit of how many folder/window view settings Windows will remember. Over time some get dropped of the list and revert to the default. This limitation is not present in the Windows NT versions (NT4/2000/XP).

ski
02-20-2003, 10:44 AM
I do not know why the 'Find: All Files' dialog box is set up that way, or if it can even be modified to hold a different view other than the default one when it's reopened.

Anyone?

mjc
02-20-2003, 10:46 AM
In other words, sleddog,

It's a feature, not a bug. :D :D

sleddog
02-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by mjc
In other words, sleddog,

It's a feature, not a bug. :D :D

Exactly! I wonder why that feature was removed in NT? Perhaps it's a bug? :)