PDA

View Full Version : re-install or not?

Ray Stainer
02-20-2003, 03:38 PM
My computer normally starts up OK into Windows98 and works fine EXCEPT that about 1 in 20 start ups the cursor is frozen at boot and I have to re-start with tower switch, (ctl+alt+del does not work).
This is the only apparent fault left after performing many configuration changes with the help of the Forum.

Can this one fault be improved, or if not, what are the advantages of installing W98 SE instead of the existing W98 version 1.

Thanks for your help.

Ray

YODA74
02-20-2003, 03:44 PM
hmmm do you have any ghost drivers left in there for mouse???
do you have any conflicts or irq problems???
do you have a seperat sound card(hence) the irq? some times mice are on the same irq and this prob. can be associated to that??

Sylvander
02-20-2003, 06:35 PM
The fact that “ctrl+alt+del” does not clear this problem is a clue I believe.
Doing “ctrl+alt+del” by-passes the POST section of the “Startup” process.
Pressing reset goes right back to the beginning of the POST and this clears the problem.
So something during the Power-On Self-Test makes the change which eliminates the problem.

If you can figure out why this makes the difference you’ll have the solution.

My guess is that:
During the POST all the hardware is detected and here is the important part:
RESOURCES ARE ALLOCATED. Then when Windows takes over it is told [by the BIOS] of the resource allocations.
Perhaps there is a resource conflict and Windows disables a conflicting device and that’s the times when the mouse works.
1. So you should check the “Bootlog.txt” file for the word “Fail” [use the “find” facility].
Check device manager for disabled devices.
2. Check the BIOS configuration settings, especially those relating to resource allocation & the enabling of the PnP system.
3. What kind of mouse is it? Does it use a com port and is that port configured ok?

Alternatively:

2. WHEN THE CURSOR FREEZES
Use “ctrl+alt+del” to reboot into safe mode and use “Start>Run>msconfig” and use it to troubleshoot as detailed here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281965

You would need to always use “Restart” or “ctrl+alt+del” or “Shut Down” so that you don’t go through the POST and fix the problem.

Sorry for grabbing at straws here but it’s the best I can do.

Paul Komski
02-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Think 98se is more stable and there is better support for AGP and USB.

Sylvander
02-21-2003, 03:39 AM
I should have said "but not shut down or Reset".

Errors always manage to sneak in don't they?

kayofcircles
02-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Sorry if stupid question..don't remember your previous problems..but did you check bootlog? The 98 (original with service pack) that I am on now gives me a BSOD on bootup some mornings..but far less frequently than yours. Never figured it out..and came to daffy deduction that on those mornings, I didn't push the power button "correctly"..:)

I am in the process of putting 98SE on a newer puter for me, and so can't answer your question yet about improvement, but 98SE is working better so far..the newer mobo didn't seem to "like" 98 original, and we had strange problems trying to install it almost a year ago. But, and this applies to anytime you wipe and start over..the customizing and configuring takes a long time! I keep finding myself looking for some setting or something, and getting distracted by "this screen doesn't look right..hhmm, how did I change all the toolbars and icons?" Took me three tries to create a folder down on the Quick Launch the other day..sigh. What I am saying is..if you're down to that one problem, and only that..maybe you'll want to just hang in with it for awhile longer? And some things are the same..always thought that it was a problem with this mobo when I would use the right click menu, choose Eject for the CDRom, and then get a BSOD saying that it couldn't read the disk in the drive. Well, no, it was already ejected. But apparently, a 98 problem because happened yesterday on new puter with completely different and better mobo.

mjc
02-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Actually, Kay what is happening is that something (could be the drive is showing in Explorer) is trying to read the disk and it ejects too fast for Windows to properly quit reading it.