PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player (old version)

mike2002
02-21-2003, 07:07 AM
I'm running Windows 98SE, and (the old) Windows Media Player Version 6.4.07.1124.
Does this player play CDs directly from the normal CD-ROM drive?
Mine doesn't, and I don't know whether this is normal or not.
I can play them (naturally) with the original Windows CD Player though.
:confused:

dilsburger
02-21-2003, 08:48 AM
I just happen to be on an older NT machine right now and it's running ver 6.4.07.1112. Clicked File - Open - selected "All Files" for file type and when I clicked on a track to play I got a message saying the file format is not supported. So I guess your answer is yes it is normal.

You could download the latest ver of 7.0 if you wanted to use it....

mike2002
02-21-2003, 09:01 AM
What? The version that's been described as "A monstrous mutation" or
the "All singing-all dancing-whistles and bells version"!!

I prefer to stick with the 'simple' version (laugh). I do have other programs that will perform its shortfall.

;)

Sylvander
02-21-2003, 09:49 AM
I’m in EXACTLY the same situation as you.

I presume it to be normal.
If you go to “Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Windows Media Player>File>Open>Browse” and select your CD-Drive with a CD-ROM in place then none of the “.cda” files will display unless you go to the “Files of Type” drop down box and select “All Files”.
[You will notice that the “.cda” file type is not on offer in the huge list of files which Media Player can play.]
Select one of the “.cda” files and click “Open” and click “ok” in the “Open”.
The first time I did this, CD Player opened and played the file. The second time I tried it, an error window came up saying, “Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported. Click on “More Help” to launch your browser and get help on this problem from the Microsoft website.

When I did this it took me to the website pointed to by the following “tinyurl”
http://tinyurl.com/66nj
Then here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q234019
Which included:
“For descriptions and samples of file types supported by Windows Media Player 7, please visit the following Microsoft Web page:”
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/mediaplayer/wmptest/wmptest.asp
Then to:
“Windows Media Player 7 Multimedia File Formats”
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/mediaplayer/wmptest/wmptest.asp#CDAudio

Under:
“File Formats Supported by Windows Media Player”
it includes
“CD Audio Track (.cda)”
that says:
“CD Audio Track
File name extension: .cda
CD Audio (CDA) tracks are audio files held on Compact Disk media. Because CDA files can only be played from a CD-ROM, we can not provide a sample file. To test a CDA file, try a different CDA file on your CD-ROM, or try a CDA file on a different CD-ROM.”

This appears to say that it does indeed play this file type.
I’m quite happy to have CD Player do the job.

The necessary changes to the Registry to register this as the default player of cda files could be done from outside the Registry using “Windows Explorer>View>Folder Options>File Types”.
In “Registered File Types” select “Audio CD>Edit”, select “Play”, click “Edit” and in “Application Used to Perform Action”, “Browse” to the location of your version of Media Player.
Mine is at “C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe”.
The whole command line should be identical to that used to play other files like “AU Format Sound” and is:
“C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe” /Play “%L”
This does not include /Close so it will /Play the file highlighted [“%L”] and remain open.

The inverted commas around the address of the executable file, and also the %L are VERY important.
If you don’t know what you’re doing or are less than fully confident then leave well alone.
I will.

dilsburger
02-21-2003, 10:05 AM
:D You're right about 7.0....it's hideous. I use winamp 2.0 myself...

mjc
02-21-2003, 11:36 AM
That is what CD player was for.....:D

I also use Winamp.

mike2002
02-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Yes that's all very interesting - now you've REALLY set me off!!(laugh)
I've just been experimenting with 'Total Recorder' and Recording some CD tracks direct from my CD-ROM drive. It's a very useful program, but has a lot of settings that takes some figuring out.
When I first installed Total Recorder, I compiled a listing of what my Audio players could do and what they couldn't (like WMP wouldn't play CDs etc). But after some time I had to re-write thre list because, for some reason(s), everything changed. I recently uninstalled WinAmp because it would 'freeze' upon clicking on a file, and it would even send up an error message saying it couldn't play the file, whilst actually playing the file at the same time!
I've also got 'dMC Audio CD Input', a program that 'Rips' CDs, and have been comparing the result against Total Recorder's 'Recorded' version. (Should there be any different between Ripping a CD track or Recording it?).
Anyway, one track in particular sounded totally different with the dmc ripper when compared to both the original CD and Total Recorder's version. It sounded like a different version.

I originally typed this 'online' and was 'previewing' it - when - Internet Explorer crashed, asking me if I wanted to send an 'Error report' to Microsoft! So I've had to type it out all over again.
I should have stuck to what I usually do, compose it offline in Notepad then Cut and Paste.
Send an 'Error report' to Microsoft? What would you say to them guys?
Computers - don't you just love em and hate em!!

Sylvander
02-21-2003, 01:05 PM
I use a "Save As" copy of a Word Document Template on the Desktop named "Latest.doc".
I just open that, type into it or copy and paste.
It's good because it shows me any errors in spelling etc.
Then I copy and paste it into the reply window.

If gives some protection because if you save as you go, even if the PC crashes you haven't lost your work.

Didn't do it on this little thing though.