PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Win95 on IBM Thinkpad 760EL

cobalt1
02-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Hello,
I am trying to reload Win 95 on an IBM 760 EL Thinkpad. The problem is that there is no way on the machine to attach a seperate cd rom drive. You have to remove the floppy drive, then insert the cd rom drive in it's place. I have formatted the HDD using a win 98 boot disk, but, as the cd rom drive is not installed at the time, it does not load a driver. I have tried to change the boot sequence in setup but the cd rom drive is not showing up as an option. Can someone please help.

Regards,

Graham.:confused:

Budfred
02-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Two possibilities come to mind.

1. Copy the Win98 boot disk to the C: drive and then attach the CD drive, boot to C: and select to run with CD. I am not sure if this will work, but it seems like it would.

2. Copy system files to the C: drive and see if you can access the CD from C:. DOS commands for doing this can be found here:

http://www.easydos.com/dosindex.html

mjc
02-21-2003, 12:48 PM
The first method Budfred mentions will work, but you have to use the system files from a Win95 boot disk or you will end up with version conflicts. www.bootdisk.com has a Win95 bootdisk with CD ROM support.

To do it this way use the 95 disk with CD ROM support.

1. Boot to the bootdisk, format the hard drive with the /s switch (this transfers the system files).

2. Transfer the contents of the boot disk to the hard drive (especially autoexec, config.sys and the CD drivers)

3. Power down, swap the floppy for the CD drive and reboot. You should now have the CD drivers load.

4. From there on it is pretty much a normal install.

cobalt1
02-22-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks for your help so far. To make sure I am getting things right, would you please explain the procedure for coppying the files from the floppy disk to the hard drive.

Regards,

Graham.

Budfred
02-22-2003, 02:35 PM
The link in my earlier post gives you detailed instructions for doing the copying, just go to the section on copying. To sum it up: at the A: prompt type "copy *.* C:" without the quotes. Since I don't use DOS myself very often, I urge you to double check at that link. I know for sure that *.* is the wildcard meaning all files, but I am not confident about the syntax of the command.

classicsoftware
02-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Budfred is correct.

Copy *.* C:

is the correct command to copy the contents of the floppy to the C-drive. You will have to format the C drive with a Win95 boot disk and make it bootable first.