PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Overheating?

Rendakor
02-21-2003, 04:13 PM
I've been having problems with my laptop lately, and its getting kind of annoying. Whenever I'm playing a graphically demanding game (Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind, even Diablo 2 occasionally), my computer randomly shuts off after a half hour to an hour of play. This is while at home and plugged in, so its not a battery issue, but i'm thinking maybe it might be overheating, because the side of the case gets really hot. If anyone else has experienced a similar problem, or has any idea what i might do to fix it, that would be great. Thanks,
Bill

deddard
02-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Overheating could well be it, if this only occurs when you are running cpu/graphics intensive aps.
Does the laptop have small feet that are extendable underneath? if so, make sure these are out, which will improve airflow.
The only other way would be to mount the laptop on some sort of 'skeleton' frame, which was raised a couple of inches from any surface - which will allow a good air flow.
Make sure you don't use it on any soft surface - these block the cooling system.

Rendakor
02-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Yea i've got a coaster under each of the back legs, it seems to be helping. It's sitting on a desk so its not a soft surface problem. thanks for the tip.