PDA

View Full Version : Accessing DOS ...

gwf
02-21-2003, 10:10 PM
I was helped along here by some in finding the problem with my driver detection. Well, now that I can detect my HD, I want to erase it completely. Don't worry about lost data, or having to back-up, etc. This was a computer I rebuilt that I used to use. I presently have another computer of choice ... this was my backup computer. Since I don't have any info on it anymore that I want to use, I want to wipe it clean and load the OS fresh.

Perhaps I'm going about formatting it wrong. I've tried accessing the DOS prompt and running and FDISK or FORMAT on the whole thing. But, I can't access the DOS prompt. I cannot even format my whole computer. The guides I've followed aren't helping.

By the way, when I boot I can either go into setup, or eventually I will be carried to the dreaded "blue screen." You know which one I'm talking about ... that error screen I hate so much.

Any suggestions? Any way that I can go about totally starting fresh, that would be great.

Thanks ...

gwf

Whyzman
02-21-2003, 10:25 PM
What OS are you attempting to load? Do you have a boot disk?

gwf
02-21-2003, 10:31 PM
I have XP now ... I'm actually reloading XP. I do have the 6-disk set.

gwf
02-21-2003, 10:43 PM
I finally got it ...

I just played around, explored a little, and was able to do what I wanted. I am now just doing a quick format (NTFS) of my HD and then will try it fresh from there.

Thanks ...

gwf

Whyzman
02-22-2003, 03:14 AM
Awesome! :D