PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply & Cooling Upgrade Advise?

SuperDave
02-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Want to upgrade my 250watt PS in my Gateway Pro 1300 system & was wondering if a Antec ATX12V 350watt is enough? System has P4 1.3ghz, 100gb HD & 20gb HD, DVD, CDRW, Floppy DR - Will be putting new Video card too, G Force TI 4400 128mb most likley and new Sound card. CompUSA had the Antec for $50 so I got it but can still return it if needed. Is Antec a good brand? What about buying off E-Bay, there are Antec 430 & 480 PS's listed as New?

As for cooling, case has a spot in rear below PS that looks like it's for mounting a 5" diameter fan?? No real spot in front of case for a fan, has a smallish lower air intake/exhaust grill.

Budfred
02-21-2003, 09:53 PM
That will probably be fine and Antec is generally a good brand, especially if it is TruePower.

For the fans, the one in the lower front will probably require removing the front cover to install, but it is probably worth the trouble.

SuperDave
02-21-2003, 10:18 PM
The Antec I bought uses Antec Smartpower technology to adjust the fan speed - is that the same as TruePower? Specs on the box state 350 as total output but below state combined +5v,+3.3v, and +12v output = 330v

Budfred
02-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Smart Power is a rung beneath True Power for Antec. It is apparently a good power supply too, but not the same quality as True Power. As for the power adding up, a power expert will need to address that for you, sorry....

drdan
02-22-2003, 04:33 AM
As you can read in some recent posts here I just put an Antec Truepower 430 watt in my computer and I'm very pleased with it. I'm not an expert by a long shot on this. I figured this power supply was more than I needed but could be used for a future, better computer as well. I have just about given up on ebay for stuff like this unless you get a fantastic deal by a high rated seller. That doesn't happen often anymore. www.Newegg.com has excellent prices, fast shipping, good customer service etc and I would recommend buying from them. The other reason I went with a 430 is that the price difference just wasn't that great and I feel I'm covered for sure. Also very good reviews on the truepower 430 and on Antec in general. The true power also lets you control fan speed. The Sunon 2900rpm case fans from Newegg are what I used.