PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Windows version

princessjoly
02-22-2003, 07:01 PM
I am working with Win. Me which is causing me continuous troubles.

Should I go for another version, which windows should I install?

Any step-by-step tutorials can be found on how to install the new version of Win.

Budfred
02-22-2003, 07:15 PM
All versions of Windoze have their strengths and weaknesses. I use WinME primarily, but plan to switch to Win2K as primary with multiple boots. WinME needs to be trimmed down to work smoothly, but it can if you tweak it. WinXP can be ok if you don't mind it telling you how to run your system. If is easier to use, but requires even more tweaking if you want to get the most out of it. This site offers some good ideas about how to set up and tweak most versions:

http://www.blkviper.com/index.html

and www.bootdisk.com offers ideas as well.

sleddog
02-22-2003, 08:18 PM
The NT4/2000/XP line is significantly better in terms of stability and performance than 95/98/ME. NT4 SP6 is very fast and sleek on a modern machine but lacks USB support. When USB is a must 2000 is my first choice. XP is a prettified version of 2000 with great device support but rotten performance.

Paul Komski
02-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Difficult to give good advice without knowing more about the pc you intend to use it on, what sort of things you will be doing on it and whether it is likely to be shared, on a LAN or completely standalone.

The newer OSes perform much better if there is adequate memory and processor speed: and that includes WinME.

Mark Miller
02-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Hi,
I am known here as a big fan of Microsoft products. You will find tha XP is much better than any of the older windows. Stability alone is worth the change. I will say that the best way for XP is either on a new machine or a complete and fresh install. Also the more ram the better, at least 256. People will give you lots of different sites to look and compare but the one with the most info is Microsoft. Of course it is slanted but the info is good.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.mspx
Good Luck, Mark

Jhorner1
02-22-2003, 09:34 PM
From personal experience:

Win 2000 for stability and security.(my primary system)
Win XP home for stability, ease of use, and compatibility. (My wife loves it)
Win 98se with older machines/programs.(use this on my backup machine, also as second boot on my machine)

Not Win Me.(on stepson's system, most unstable in the house, but may be partly due to him downloading anything and everything.)

princessjoly
02-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Just wanted to say a word of thanks to all those how joined and enlightened me.