PDA

View Full Version : Oh no... more registry issues.

funhousegroup
02-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Seems I am not the only one with reg issues today. The thing is , my freind who is a web developer goofed his registry and I want to help him fix it so that he can get back into his machine. He was installing a new version of PHP and was telling the install wizard where to look for extensions and goofed his registry. Now Im not sure if it happend while he was installing the software or if he went in manually. I will find out. What happens now, everytime he starts his Win 98 PC it gets to the desktop and then gives a win explorer error. It never finishees loading the icons. I am really not sure how to start the fix if I cant even get to the desktop (let alone the Reg editor ). Any ideas.
Oh yeah, he wants to copy over all docs and such from the old drive to a new drive if we cant get it going. Can I just hook up the old drive to another 98 box as a slave and copy the files into the new drive through 98?\
Sorry for such a long description. I like to be thurough.
fUnhOuSegRoUp

rahulkothari
02-24-2003, 12:04 AM
[list] Start the PC in MS-Dos mode. (press F8 while the comp boots up)

At the Dos prompt, type
c:\scanreg \restore

Select a date when the puter was working fine.

Done ;)[/lsit]

rahulkothari
02-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Start the PC in MS-Dos mode. (press F8 while the comp boots up)

At the Dos prompt, type
c:\scanreg \restore

Select a date when the puter was working fine.

Done ;)

funhousegroup
02-24-2003, 12:36 AM
THanks for the info. Can you do this to restore to any date on a win 98 machine? Sounds almost too good to be true.
I will try it.
FH

Whyzman
02-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Hmmmmm......I don't think you get to choose any date...I think scanreg restore provides access to the registries of the last 5 successful boots.

My normal course of action is to use a Win98 Boot Disk and once to the Dos prompt type: scanreg_/restore (replacing the underscore with a single space).

Select a registry and remember to remove your boot disk before rebooting.

funhousegroup
02-24-2003, 03:23 AM
OK. So if my freind already tryed to reboot more than 5 times he may not be able to restore then ?
Ill try it anyway.

UPENDRA UPADHYAY
02-24-2003, 08:10 AM
don't worry, about reboot, backup of registry are of succssesful booting
try scanreg /restor

Paul Komski
02-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Try booting into Safe Mode and then booting normally.

Can I just hook up the old drive to another 98 box as a slave and copy the files into the new drive through 98?\
Should work.