PDA

View Full Version : Problem with backup of Win98SE

carlo_um
02-23-2003, 10:49 PM
My friend's Seagate 40Gb harddrive got some bad sectors so he send it back to the supplier for a replacement. In order for him to be able to use the computer while the 40gb harddisk is sent for replacement, I let him borrow my old Seagate 8gb harddisk.

What we did was backup the whole drive of his 40gb harddisk using the builtin backup utility of win98SE. We were able to backup the harddisk and then transfer it to the 8gb harddisk. The content of his harddisk is only around 4gb.

When the replacement 40gb harddisk arrive. I partitioned the harddisk into two drive. One drive(primary) is around 20gb and the remaining is place on the second drive(extended-logical). I formatted the two drives after the partition and I place some files on the logical drive. After that we did the same step as what we did on transferring from the 40gb to 8gb. But this time, it's the other way around, its from 8gb harddisk to the 40gb harddisk. Everything works fine and it was able to transfer using the win98SE backup utility successfully without any problem.

When we did the backup, we placed the source harddisk as the master, and the destination harddisk as slave.

When we use the new 40gb harddisk as master and take out the 8gb harddisk, it cannot boot to win98. When it supposed to detect the OS, it will say "Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter".

I did the backup from the 8gb to 40gb harddisk 3 times and I wasn't successfull on all the attempts.

What do u think is the problem?

UPENDRA UPADHYAY
02-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Hello grandmasters, I am also intrested in solution of this problem

mjc
02-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Put the 40GB drive as master, use a 98 bootdisk, boot to the bootdisk.

Then at the prompt type fdisk, in fdisk make sure tht the partition is set active. Then reboot. If that doesn't do then boot to the boot disk again and at the prompt type sys C:.

carlo_um
02-24-2003, 07:05 PM
I can't do the suggestion that mjc has mentioned cause I also have another problem on boot. I can't boot on my drive A no matter what I do.

I posted my problem on booting at http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20746

Can I try the solution you gave but place the 40gb as slave?

carlo_um
02-24-2003, 09:25 PM
I have tried mjc's suggestion and it works. I wasn't able to use fdisk since fdisk can't make a drive set to active if it's not the default drive. So what I did was use Partition Magic to set the 40gb drive to active. And this solves my problem. My only problem right now is the fdd boot problem. I still have to try the suggestion made on my other post.

mjc, thanks so much for your tips.

mjc
02-24-2003, 09:44 PM
You're welcome.

Have you tried the suggestions in the other thread, for the floppy problem?

carlo_um
02-25-2003, 01:00 AM
I just tried the suggestion on the floppy problem and it was indeed the floppy drive that has some problem. It may be able to read files on windows but cannot recognize the file on boot.

Thanks so much.