PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Reformatting Question

Zaevion
02-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Ok, I need help here, so I apologize now for the book length this post will probably be...

I'm trying to format my C: drive, and I'm running Windows XP. I've downloaded a bootdisk for Win '98 from www.bootdisk.com, and am loading the computer up from there. I pick the option to run with the CD-Rom support, and eventually it comes up saying "drive C: does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition"...

Now here is where I get lost. I only have one hard drive on my comp, it's 80 gig. My comp is only a little over a year old, and when we received it, the hard drive was divided up into two drives, the C: and D: drives, one being 70 gig roughly and the other looking to be a 10 gig Save area from what I can tell (I'm not that educated in this stuff, so I hope this is correct), and when I run FDISK from the A: prompt when I boot up from the disk, one of the two sections (the one listed as D:) is listed as FAT32, I don't remember what the other is listed as. When I try to create a partition in FDISK, it says that there is not enough space on the drive to create one.

I had read that all you have to do in XP was re-install the OS and it will be like re-formating the drive, but instead, XP decided to install a copy of itself onto the D: drive, and kept all my same files and such, from what I can tell, and sucked up all my space, leaving me roughly 32 mb or storage space on the drive.

Help!!! I seriously need to format my C: drive. Can anyone out there help me? Also, if there is something in FDISK that I need to do, try and give me a step by step, I'm not familiar w/ FDISK and do not no how to use it really. I know this is a lot to ask, but bare with me please. I hope someone out there will feel sympathy for me in my problems here and will help me out. Thanks.

Sylvander
02-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Here's Microsoft's instructions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348

Zaevion
02-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Hey, thanks for helping out, I kinda checked around the microsoft site, but didn't really know what I was looking for...much appreciated.