PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot 98+XP:Newbie needs advice plz!!

Fiery251
02-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Ok, I've partitioned my 40Gb HD into two parts. Two 20Gb portions to be exact.
I am running Windows 98SE, and I want to install Windows XP Pro on the new,empty partition.

How exactly do I go about this?. Is it simply a case of sticking the XP CD in the drive, and pointing it towards my newly created "G:" drive to install onto?.

And if so, is it the case, that after that is done, whenever I switch on my PC, will it automatically ask me what OS I want to run, i.e., what drive do I want to boot from?. Or do I have to boot up as normal, W98SE, and then do what to run XP?. Sorry if the questions sound like they are coming from a clueless person!!!. I'm new to all this Dual-boot stuff, but I'm determined to get it off the ground!!.

Thanx in advance.

diurnal
02-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Yes just stick the xp cd in and it should do the trick.Of course follow the instructions and it should be easy.
After it is loaded you will get a screen saying if you want to boot to Windows XP or 98.

If nothing is chosen on boot up screen then it will automically boot to windows XP.
CYA

Fiery251
02-25-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanx. Thats what I suspected. It just seemed a little too easy, thats why I was checking!!.:)

Paul Komski
02-25-2003, 06:12 PM
The two common pitfalls are to choose upgrade on the first screen (so choose to make a new installation) and to forget to select advanced on the second or third screen and then ensure that you enable that you get to choose where to install to.

After the files have been copied and the computer reboots just read the blue-with-silver-text screens carefully.