PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Instances of XP

Zaevion
02-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Ok...I've formatted my harddrive, and have re-installed XP...but I have a question. Whenever my computer starts up, it asks me to pick which copy of XP I want to run, cause it's saying I have the OS installed twice. I can't run the other version, because I formatted the hard drive, but it still says that the old install of XP is there. Is there a way I can remove this instance of XP, or is there a way I can tell the computer to start up using the most recent version of XP that I have installed?

mjc
02-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Find and post the contents of the boot.ini file.

Zaevion
02-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I'll have to do it when I get home, I'm at work at the moment...be around later to help again

Zaevion
02-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Ok...how do I find out what's in the boot.ini file, I don't have any way of reading it...or is there another file on the comp that will tell me what's in the file?

:confused:

Paul Komski
02-25-2003, 04:53 PM
RClick on the file and select Open With Notepad or Open Notepad and from the File Menu choose Open. Select Files of type "All" and browse to the boot.ini file in the root of your C drive.

If you cant see it then go to MyComputer, Tools, Folder Options, View and change the radio button for "Show Hidden Files".

Zaevion
02-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Ok, here we go...I found the file boot.ini.backup, I opened it in Notepad and got this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

I already have a feeling that I know what to do...but I'll let you experts out there give me the correct answer

':D'

Paul Komski
02-25-2003, 05:47 PM
If you are happy with the default just delete the last line, that being:-

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

If you can boot successfully into both installations you may of course prefer to keep the other installation (in case it's not the one that was formatted) in which case post back.

If you are not sure which is which from the options shown at boot up time then edit the first one to, say, ..."Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on Partition 1" ... in place of the ..."Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"... bit of text.

If the changes won't save then you may have to change the file attributes of the boot.ini file.