PDA

View Full Version : win 98 and XP

coatesville
02-25-2003, 10:04 PM
My fist question concerns windows 98 . I recently reformatted the hard drive and re installed everything and since I have done that I have a probelm with windows shutting down automatically. Now it stops where it says It is now safe to turn windows off or what ever can`t really remember but most of you know what I mean. The same programs ae installed and it worked fine before I am not sure if I did anything before to make it work or not. I have gone through just about everything in the help for windows shut down and startup troubleshooting. Still I can`t get it to work. Anyone have any suggestions for me.
Second question is if you have windows 98 installed and you buy the full version of windows XP do you have to format the hard drive first. Someone said you didn`t. Have a chance to get a complete windows XP so was wondering.

Steve
02-25-2003, 10:21 PM
coatesville,

There are known shutdown issuea with win98.
THIS (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q238096) link might help you out.

If you are going to replace 98 with XP you don't have to format first. You can do it during the XP install.

If you want to add XP as a dual boot, you will need to partition first.

coatesville
02-25-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks for info about XP.
Also thanks about the shutdown but I have already read all that and tried most of it but nothing worked the patch they are speaking of is only for win 98se is it not?
What I can`t figure out it worked before and not now. If Microsoft knew their was a problem why did they not make patches for all of windows.
Anyway will keep trying to get more answers and things to try.
The BIOS is the same as it was before I formatted hard drive so doubt if that would help.

kayofcircles
02-26-2003, 11:22 AM
I am on a newer puter that I am working on, so don't have my Favorites list, but will come back later with aumha link to Shutdown Troubleshooting. Did you configure things the same...particularly the Sound section in Control Panel? You might try turning off the Exit music, if you haven't already..and check some of those other sound settings while you are there. This newer one with 98SE, rather than 98, has a "disable Fast shutdown" in msconfig..pretty sure it's in 98 too..did you do that? And did you do a ConAltDel before shutting down to see if there's anything running that shouldn't be? Like maybe the renapp thingy for the modem "hanging"? I remember a thread where a guy needed to wait a few seconds after getting offline to allow time for that to "finish" off..otherwise, his shutdown hung.

kayofcircles
02-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Windows Shutdown Troubleshooter (http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm)