PDA

View Full Version : Start-up opens folders

extensions
02-26-2003, 05:10 AM
Hi all

The other day I tidyed up my folders in the all program list menu. Now whenever I boot my p.c. up all the folders I moved now appear open on my desktop. How can I stop this from happening?
Im running windows xp.

slim
02-26-2003, 07:08 AM
What did you do with the folders when you tidyed them up i.e. delete or move???

Are they now located in the startup folder ???

Does this only happen under your user profile or does it affect every user of the computer (assuming there is more than one user profile).

Slim

extensions
02-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi Slim
When I tidyed my folders in the program menu I only moved them around , I didnt delete them.
And Im the only user on my pc.
I did a search for my start up folder but dont appear to have one. Should I have one?

Extensions

Budfred
02-26-2003, 05:32 PM
If you look in Start, Programs, you will find the Start folder, it is a part of Windoze and it automatically loads programs in there at boot. It can also be found in Windoze Explorer under the main Windoze folder, Start Menu, Programs, Startup and you can delete programs from there. I may not have the path right since my work computer doesn't have it set up the same way, but if you look in the Windoze folder, it will be in there somewhere, down a level or two.

Oh, by the way:

Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

Paul Komski
02-27-2003, 08:51 PM
BTW

In WindowsXP there is a Startup folder in Windows Explorer for each of the users listed under the Documents ans Settings folder, which is why Slim asked about User profiles.

When you are logged-in as that user the StartUp folder reached from the Start button corresponds the the equivalent one under Documents and Settings.

Depending on the settings in use at the time; "tidying up" can affect just your profile or the profiles for all users of the computer.

extensions
02-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Well I searched my Documents and Setting for the Startup folder but dosnt look I have one. However I have a Start menu folder. Is that the folder you mean? If so, if I delete everything in it, will it delete the list in my All programs list?

Thanking you for your help.

Extensions

Budfred
02-27-2003, 10:02 PM
I am not sure about XP, but I think if you open the Start Menu folder and look at the folders contained about a level or two down, you will find the Startup folder. If you delete the Start Menu folder itself (if XP even lets you) I suspect you will wreak holy havoc on your system and you will at least corrupt your Start Menu, so I wouldn't suggest that...

extensions
02-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Ive looked everywhere for the startup folder. Its not in my documents and settings folder, or my user profile folder. I have done a complete search for it, but I come up with nothing. I therefore assume I deleted it by accident when I was sorting my programs in the all programs list.
mmmmmm Im stumped!
Any other thoughts?

Extensions

Budfred
02-28-2003, 12:33 AM
On the versions of Windoze I am familiar with, the Startup folder is default to Windoze. This means that if you did delete it, it would be recreated when you reboot Windoze.

On my computer: I open Windoze Explorer, click on the plus sign next to the Windoze folder, scroll down to Start Menu and click on the plus sign, click on the plus sign next to Programs and scroll down to Startup. You Windoze folder is probably labeled WinNT or something along those lines, but otherwise you should be able to find it in similar fashion.

mjc
02-28-2003, 01:03 AM
You are using XP?

I believe in XP there is a setting to hide empty or unused folders on the Start Menu. If that option is checked (under Start Menu Options) then you won't find it if it is empty.

So at this point lets assume it is checked. Since you can't find the Start folder it must be empty.

I would say try running Startup list (link is in my sig) and post the log here.

Here is a registry tweak to enable what you are trying to get rid of...

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1222/

So, look at the key disscused and if the value is already set to 1 the by setting it to zero you should undo it, and the folders should remain closed.

Here is a possible cause and solution from MS

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;170086

Paul Komski
02-28-2003, 08:28 PM
There are a couple of areas here that might just need clarification.

all the folders I moved now appear open on my desktop

Are you sure these are folders or are they just shortcut-icons that have now appeared on the desktop; icons that will open a window when you double-click on them in the same way that the icons in the StartMenu work - and could have been accidentally dragged onto the desktop during your tidying session.

Or are you talking about actual Windows, which open at startup time?

If the latter, there are also two possibilities.

Closing down the pc, while Windows Explorer, Control Panel, etc are still open results in them re-opening when Windows is restarted. I think that mjc's tweak is to prevent this from happening.

The "Startup" Folder is a Folder which is found in XP (and not using the classic interface which is not the default) from the Start Button<>All Programs list of folders. Anything placed inside this folder is started-up when the computer is booted.

RClicking on the Start button and choosing Properties allows one to customise many features on the "Start" Menus and the Taskbar. Could find one for hiding inactive items in the System Tray but not one (as of yet) for hiding unused folders.

extensions
02-28-2003, 09:33 PM
They are actual open windows that open on my desktop when I boot up my pc, not icons.

I tryed MJCs advise and changed the persistbrowser number from 0 to 1, rebooted my pc but still the same thing happened. Then changed it back to 0, rebooted and still no changes.

The strange thing I noticed is when the progams windows appear on bootup the address reads C:/Documents and Settings/me user/Start Menu/Programs/Startup/Waves ( or any one of the other 30 programs that load ). I look for the Startup folder in explorer but its not there....maybe its invisable?

So Paul, do you reckon I should delete all the programs listed in the start menu? The thing is that Ive always had programs listed in the menu and have had no problems before.

Cheers
Extensions

Paul Komski
03-01-2003, 11:50 AM
You can delete them if you don't need them elsewhere in the "All Programs" List of folders. BTW: you are not deleting programs - only their shortcuts. You could also cut/paste or drag/drop them somewhere else as a temporary measure.

You might want to ensure you are not hiding things (particularly if using RClick<>Explore (see below) takes you nowhere) by checking-out the options in MyComputer<>Tools<>FolderOptions<>View.

Go Start<>AllPrograms and then if you RClick on StartUp and choose Explore should open Explorer at the correct place in the Directory Tree.

Highlight the Programs sub-folder of StartUp in the left pane and from the file menu create new folder. Rename this to say TempShortcuts and then cut/paste or drag/drop the approx 30 shortcuts from StartUp to TempShortcuts. This should leave StartUp empty and prevent them opening on bootup. You can go back and delete your TempShorcuts folder, when you are sure you no longer need the shortcuts inside it.

extensions
03-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. The problem is now fixed.

A friend came round and did the job. He moved all the programs in my Start Menu into a temp folder and then created a StartUp folder in the Start Menu, then returned all the programs into the programs menu.
Yay!

Extensions