PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! lost my drives

lalao
02-27-2003, 10:55 AM
I formatted my win 2000 prof and installed it fresh. I made a mistake somewhere. I had 4 drives about 8 GB each. Now I have only one C drive with 7 GB. I don't really need 4 drives, but I do need my original GB space back. what can I do? also, I can't find Windows, instead I see WINNT. can you please help so that I can get my space back? thanks so much. (I'm a beginner)

ski
02-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Repartition with a single large partition, reformat, and reinstall Windows.
See if that works.

Budfred
02-27-2003, 11:23 AM
It sounds like you ended up repartitioning and created only one drive in the process. You can do as ski suggests and redo it with all one drive or you can repartition with several smaller logical drives if you wish. Your install CD should allow you to do this, post back if you don't know how.

You are seeing WINNT because that is how Windoze identifies itself in Win2000. It reflect the fact that it is derived from the NT version of Windoze.

lalao
02-27-2003, 11:27 AM
a big thanks to all. now I'd like to take you up on your offer to help with the cd. what do I have to do- remember- I'm new to this- as you can see!! thankyou

ski
02-27-2003, 12:14 PM
If you're referring to a CD-ROM drive, then what's the problem with it?

lalao
02-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Problem resolved and thanks for the help!

Budfred
02-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Congratulations on solving the problem.:)

Now, please let us know what you did to solve it, this is how we all learn and share information here....

lalao
02-28-2003, 12:27 AM
I right clicked MY computer-management- file management, and I was able from there to change the unallocated space to a new drive, and formatted it. So I now have 2 drives instead of 4 which is much better anyway. and again, thanks to all