PDA

View Full Version : remove partial installation of win. 2000 professional

bradley
02-28-2003, 02:49 PM
HELP?????

My computer crashes near the final stages of installing widows 2000 prof. My previous operating system was windows 98. I now would like to uninstall windows 2000 prof,and reinstall windows 98.I am not to sure if it is my H D. which is a 8GB. SCSI. The motherboard was replaced from a Pentium 11 to an Asus.The tech. said that i could have a problem in my operating system that is why my computer constantly crashes. So i would like to go back to the start.Install windows 98 and see if the problem still exists.Windows 2000 is partially installed on my computer.So how do i uninstall win.2000 This is not my primary computer,but i would like to fix the problem myself with your help out there . thanks

Vic 970
02-28-2003, 04:19 PM
were you trying to install 2000 as an upgrade or a second o/s to dual boot.?

If you have no data on system (or it is backed up) suggest format & clean install.

if you suspect hdd faults you can d/l a test prog.

but just clarify first..,

is there anything on your pc that you wish to keep

do you have full version discs (not backups)

do you want single o/s (if so which) or dual

sleddog
02-28-2003, 04:21 PM
If there are no data files that you wish to save, simply boot from the Windows 2000 CD and start the install. You have the opportunity to delete the partition and then create a new one. This partition will be formatted by the installer, effectively wiping out the failed install and the old Win98 installation.

bradley
03-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply Sleddog and Vic 790

I did format the h/d (deleted old partition) then installed o/s on new partition. 3/4 through installation of 2000 a blue screen of death appears.

Message read: Driver _IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY.

The 2000 was intended to be an upgrade. I saved files but did not need system backup.

How do I erase everything now and then try to reinstall the original version of win98?
I have tried putting in the 98 installation discs but the 2000 does not seem to read or allow it to reinstall. I then tried to reinstall the 2000 again and the blue screen again popped up.

Hoping you can help

sleddog
03-01-2003, 11:02 AM
If you selected to format the partition using FAT, then you can use a Win98 boot disk and the DOS format program (FORMAT.COM) to re-format the drive.

If you selected to format the partition using NTFS then try re-running the Win2000 setup to the point where you can delete the partition(s), then cancel it. The use your Win98 boot disk and the DOS fdisk (FDISK.EXE) program to create a new partition.