PDA

View Full Version : Mouse pointer goes mental

extensions
03-02-2003, 06:05 AM
I have Windows XP my problem is my mouse pointer goes crazy, opening and closing random programs all by itself. And on occassions programs load into my start menu. How can I stop this from happening?
I have scanned my hardrive for viruses and trojans, cleaned my mouse, but it still happens. Could it be my mouse, or is it a windows problem?

Please help.

jabarnutcase
03-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Hi extensions-

Have you also checked for Spyware? If you don't already have one or both of them, I would download
Adaware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) or Spybot Search and Destroy
(http://spybot.safer-networking.de/) and run a scan.

If that fails to fix your problem, it wouldn't hurt to try another mouse. That would at least confirm that the mouse is or isn't the culprit.
And be sure you have the latest mouse drivers depending on the mouse and it's features.
Good luck!

Budfred
03-02-2003, 03:59 PM
I sounds like you have some sort of infection to me. If you used a virus scan that isn't up to date, it may have missed something. I would go to mjc's security links and run an online scan, then also download Spybot, Hijack This and Startup List. Run each of them and post results from Hijack This and Startup List if the problem isn't already resolved. mjc's thread is here:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15179

Sylvander
03-02-2003, 05:02 PM
An even better way to eliminate an infection is to re-format the drive and restore a backup taken when the drive was clean and working to your satisfaction.

I restore from CD-RW disks that I’m certain are not infected.

I know nothing of the backup and restore arrangements available with Windows XP.

If your MBR/boot sectors are infected you either re-partition [before re-format] or “rebuild” them using an “Anti-Virus Rescue Disk” [if you have anti-virus software and made a rescue disk].

kaede
03-03-2003, 04:35 AM
ps/2 or usb mouse ? try a new mouse first before u format. Before this problem occur did u edit any setting or install any program ?

slim
03-03-2003, 07:26 AM
Hi,

I had a similar problem with a mouse in windows 2000 and after checking the eventlog found a error message.

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17440

Not sure if this is the same problem, but it is another option to look at.

Slim

extensions
03-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Problem solved. Bought myself an optical mouse and have had no problems.

Thanks everyone.

Extensions

jabarnutcase
03-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks for posting back extensions.

It's always nice to hear how a problem was solved.
Also a lesson to all on trying the most obvious and simplest first.

It is always possible that a crazy mouse causing problems, may be just that, and nothing more- A crazy mouse...Causing problems. :p

Fruss Tray Ted
03-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Problem may APPEAR to be solved but is only an illusion. When you bought an optical mouse you got software with it. This in effect has overridden or masked the problem that may still be present.

I had the same problem before ever using a firewall. I suspect now that I'd been compromised by a hack. The VERY same mouse and computer is in use by an aquaintance and it is fine once again after a reformat.

My symptoms were: The slightest movements of the mouse moved the cursor to opposite ends/corners of the screen. I simply could NOT click on anything because it was so uncontrollable.

You never answered the questions about Spyware and such...

extensions
03-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Fruss Tray Ted

Oh, well I just hope it was the mouse at fault ( touch wood ) The mouse did come with software, but have no need to install it ... yet. Works fine with my old config.

As far as Spyware and all that, yes I have installed it. Ran a trojan and virus scan, and it did pick up a trojan on my E drive & of course I deleted it. However the problem still persisted after that..... until I changed my mouse.

Point taken though. Will reformat as last resort.

And yes I use a firewall

Extensions

Fruss Tray Ted
03-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Try the mouse in a different...

http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/PHD/PHD347/73005.JPG

...well you know what I mean... :)

Edit:
With your new mouse you may also try using a utility to repair your system like Norton's if you have or some other way to do so. System File Checker maybe (I've never used it though so not sure)? Then try the original one again esp if the utility finds something and repairs it. /edit

TheSkippyKing
03-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Put together a brandy new Asus mobo comp(not connected to anything) and had the exact same symptoms with a PS/2 mouse...swapped in a USB optical and poof ! prob disappeared. Its not always sumthin' sinister.
:rolleyes:

extensions
03-05-2003, 01:00 AM
Too true Skippy.

Extensions

keep it simple:)

Fruss Tray Ted
03-05-2003, 08:08 AM
In the edit of my last post I was referring to the normal SNAFU'ed messed up Microslop/soft corrupted files for the who knows why, out of the blue reason. A try at a fix with a utility program is just that, a try... :rolleyes: