PDA

View Full Version : Fatal shut down message

boldstar
03-02-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm using Windows 98 and seem to be developing a serious problem. Twice in the last few days, while shutting down my computer, just before it actually shuts down - I have recieved this message on my screen. FATAL EXIT CODE 0x00200
Also, once this week, when turning my computer ON, my screen remained blank - but my fan was running - so I hit the RESET button and everything booted-up OK. Have not noticed any other problems with my computer even after the fatal shutdown error message, (at least so far) it will boot-up OK the next day. Can someone tell me what might be happening to my computer? Prior to this: I had not even heard of a "fatal exit code" What does it mean? Thanks to anyone who can help!

YODA74
03-02-2003, 05:07 PM
you may want to run thru these 15 steps there isn't much on M$ knowledge base for these kinds of errors

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

Most often, fatal errors at shutdown are the result of device driver
problems or, secondarily, of other hardware issues. Are you getting any BEEPS after the fact associated with this??
What applications were you working on before this takes place? Have you added any software or hardware latley??