PDA

View Full Version : XP crashed after partitioning HD

pcnut
03-03-2003, 12:43 AM
Hello,

I am running a dual boot system, 98SE on c: & XP Pro on d:, on a 40 gig HD split 20/20 .I wanted to change the partition sizes on the HD so using Partition Magic I begin the process.That is where the problem began. During the partition size change the computer froze and now it will only boot in 98SE. When trying to boot to XP I get a message saying that I have a missing or corrupt file and that I need to reinstall the file : system32\hal.dll .

While running windows explorer in 98SE it now shows that the c: partition is 20 gigs & the d: partition is 1.74 gigs in size and I can't access any of the files on d:.Now when I open PM it says the it appears that the PC lost power during operation and asks if I what to repair the partition, when I click yes the program says it is searching for markers and then stops responding. PM has apparently locked access to the D: drive, is there any way to unlock or at least retrieve my lost files?

Thanks for any help.

kaede
03-03-2003, 04:05 AM
boot to your win98 and from there insert your winxp disc .. then start install from the disc
After that it will ask u to reboot .. and it will auto boot from ur winxp disc .. from there correct ur partition drive and u reinstall your winxp. Hope this help =)

btw your win98 is in FAT32 ? and your winxp is in NTFS ?

pcnut
03-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks, I will try that solution and let you know. To answer your question, both partitions were FAT32.

pcnut
03-04-2003, 12:17 PM
I tried reinstalling XP to D: as you said to do but it still shows D: as only 1.74 gigs in size. Also when booting the PC it now shows three partitions to choose from , 2 for XP and 1 for 98SE and the one XP partition still doesn't open as before. Any thoughts.

Thanks

kaede
03-05-2003, 11:54 AM
u means when u bootup there is 3 option for u to choose and 2 of them is winxp and 1 is win98 ?
If u want to del the extra winxp option, try this: boot to your winxp and locate a file (boot.ini) and del the extra winxp option.
Try using PM merge function and merge the 2 winxp together.

pcnut
03-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Should I try to merge the two XP partition before or after deleting the boot.ini file ? Wouldn't there be two boot.ini files for XP ?How do I know which boot.ini file I am deleting.

kaede
03-05-2003, 09:21 PM
dun del the boot.ini file, is del the extra option is the boot.ini file.
I think u can try merging the 2 partition first. take note that both partition must be of the same type (NTFS & NTFS). if one of them is not the same type, right click on the drive (ex.D:) and choose format. U will see a FILESYSTEM dropdown list.. after choosing, press format.

Paul Komski
03-06-2003, 10:21 PM
HANG ON FOLKS

I'm afraid its almost certainly too late now but that it was bad advice to reinstall or even attempt to "repair" the WinXP partiton that had been "incompletely" resized when the freeze occured. I even doubt that a "last known good" configuration would have worked. Running specific recovery software from the C: partion or a second HDD would have been the way to go.

By reinstalling etc, data on the old partition will almost certainly have been (at least partially) overwritten. If the data that was on it is really important you may be able to retrieve some of it using recovery software but more probable that you will need to pay a recovery firm to do this for you and with no guarantees of success.

For the future:

1) If you ever delete or "lose" data - write NOTHING to the disk before you are sure you know what you are doing.

2) Whenever you use any partitioning software ensure you have backed-up important data beforehand.

Merging partitions is also most unlikely to work since there are unlikely to still be any "pointers" to the individual files on the small partition that was showing-up after the freeze and every action like this is just making recovery less and less likely.

Post back as to how important it is to recover your data and peeps can advise accordingly. If not important - then suggest you reinstall WinXP and again post back stating what partitons and sizes you wish to achieve so that better step by step advice can be given to you.

PS There is bad advice and there is bad advice; the worst is bad advice that can actually do harm. Unless you know what you are doing and people have data involved - please don't step outside the limits of your knowledge and experience.

kaede
03-07-2003, 12:26 AM
Are you saying that the merging function in partition magic does not work ?

Whyzman
03-07-2003, 01:18 AM
At the expense of being redundant...I posted this link as a thread starter elsewhere...

Here's an excellent read on partitioning: http://partition.radified.com/

Paul Komski
03-08-2003, 06:40 AM
PM can merge "good" partitions that are physically adjacent on the HDD and does this by "placing" all the files from one partition inside a new folder created on the destination partition. The files are not literally moved at all but the FAT or MFT tables (the pointers) are rewritten.

After the "freeze" there was a new small partition (resized from 20 to 1.74GB) that PM attempted, but failed, to "repair". It had been reported that there were no "pointers" to the files on this bad partition. It is probable, but not mandatory, that this partition is still adjacent to the C drive.

Unless these "pointers" are first restored there is no way for software to find just where these files (fragmented or otherwise) exist on the HDD; they could all be on the 1.74GB area or still be (completely or partially) spread around the remaining 18.26GB area of unallocated space and onto which a whole new installation of XP may have since been placed. In addition, during the rewrite that goes on during a resize, the cluster sizes would almost certainly have been changed.

If the D drive was originally accessible to scandisk from the C drive or chkdsk from a WinNT utility running from a command prompt it is possible that it could have repaired these lost "pointers". Failing that only specific recovery software would be able to find and reinstate the "lost" files.

When data is lost, it is safer to run a recovery utility as the first option since even scandisk etc also write to the HDD. Anything that writes to the partitions or partition tables makes recovery less and less likely.