PDA

View Full Version : How to get Rid of AOL browser?

LeanPudLou
03-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Have AOL account
Have access number(s)
Have Username
Have Password
So....add a dial-up connection to Windows 98.2
just like I've done several times in the past with other ISP(s)...easy enough.
But the dial-up connection in IE 6 refuses to work and I am forced to install AOL propriatary browser (gritting my teeth).
Anyone know a way around this? Is there a way to trick the connection into "thinking" that I have the AOL browser installed and am using it, but am really using IE 6.0 just by itself?

HeadachesAbound
03-03-2003, 08:09 AM
AOL uses a proprietary version of PPPoE (Connection Method) that requires their software to work. At current time there is no known work-around (at least not the last time I checked).

kayofcircles
03-03-2003, 10:55 AM
LeanPudLou : First, "Welcome to the forum". Secondly, wait a bit. No disrespect, Headaches, but I could have sworn I just read a post not too long ago where someone here is using just the dialup with AOL, and using IE 6. Some of our people won't be online until this evening after they get off work..so wait awhile, please.

In the meantime, did you try making a shortcut to the DialUp that you established for the Desktop (or QuickLaunch), and connecting to the Internet, and then opening IE 6? My original ISP told me to always do that..establish the connection, then open OE or IE. I no longer do that, but I also have both IE and OE set to not connect automatically, I connect through the DialUp shortcut I have made. And I am currently doing the same as what you wish to do, only I have bypassed the AT&T connection gizmo (with all its spyware).

Whyzman
03-03-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm an AOL user and I use both browsers. I actually find it kind of handy to switch between the two when I'm on line doing Google searches and the like.

It's seems faster than reloading a page...I just drop one or the other to the task bar and don't lose my place...

Once you're logged on just open IE6 from your desktop and work from there...

Mark Miller
03-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Whyzman's right, we even do that with a broadband connection and it works fine. [My wife LOVES aol] Just hit the little e in the quick launch bar,different browser.
Mark
Actually it is alittle different as aol is loaded on top of broadband connection

LeanPudLou
03-03-2003, 05:46 PM
First....Thanks to HeadAA...Kay...Whyz and Mark...I appreciate your quick and competent reponse(s).
I am aware of being able to switch between the two browsers in question...and I too was on AT&T and found a workaround on that piece of crap...now I want to be able to eliminate the propriatary AOL browser altoghther...if I can't (because I don't have the talent of a true hacker), then I just have to live with it (white knuckled gritting my teeth...goddamn....you pay top price and then you are FORCED to use their junk browser so that you are bombarded with commercials...What?...I'm paying top dollar and I am still FORCED to use this stupid lookin', slow, lame brained crap?)....

Oh...sorry...I kinda lost my mind for a minute...

Any more suggestions will be conducive to my overall mental health...
Thanks all,
!!!!!

Fruss Tray Ted
03-03-2003, 08:29 PM
I'm confused :confused:

Why do you need 2 browsers to have more than one window open? I've got up to 5-10 open lots of times and only use IE. Most clicks on Favorites, Quick Launch and shortcut icons all open a new page. When I'm in a site (here @ pcg for example) I often times right click on reply or something else and choose "Open in new Window". There's 3 items in my tray at this time but I've only been online for about a 1/2 hour (late work day). Pcg twice, the view and the reply page, and my e-mail. Soon it will be my other email, Google, a retailer, maybe eBay etc. etc. etc.

I've had tons of AOL disks sent and given to me but never used a one. That's because when I went online it was not available in my area. And now I'm told it is not worth it but neither is IE so flip a coin. BTW I NEVER go to the IE homepage (it is set to blank page in Options) and therefore avoid most of the popups that used to happen. The ones right off, the ones that popup out of nowhere for no reason etc. but my ISP has Spam filters too (I AM SPOILED!!! :D ) I see so few popups now I almost forgot what the are...

So I don't know if you are meaning the homepage or just the browser when you say "using the AOL browser" but thought this might at least be a perspective to consider. It says MS IE on my page headers but Im not getting caught in the popup snares and didn't earlier before I chose this ISP either.

Steve
03-03-2003, 08:47 PM
I hate to see anyone forced to do anything. Why don't you just get a new ISP?

Am I missing somethin'...:confused:

Mark Miller
03-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Hi Steve,
I'll tell you how you get trapped with aol. My wife is so afraid of losing her contacts or they will lose her that she will never switch. Remember they have been around along time [we have had them 6 years].
I never used it but there is things that people like and it is pretty easy to use if you don't want to know too are about the internet. Now with broadband people are starting to see that aol is a waste of time.
Though lots of people like their community and ease of use.
Mark

Steve
03-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Well, I guess I know what you mean. I started out with aol. It was pretty friendly. ;)

kayofcircles
03-04-2003, 11:13 AM
LeanPudLou : I know people have done what you hope to do..I just don't know if they've done it with IE 6, although that shouldn't matter. Does your DialUp connection you made in DialUp Networking work? Do you get anything? Months and months ago, I had made a copy of the first page of the AT&T stuff on old puter, and then took screenshots of a bunch of the settings pages so that I would be able to duplicate them. AT&T assigns a weird user name and password that I have to put in the DialUp settings, and then put my email addy and password over in OE. AOL might have some weird user/password stuff too? Recently, when I was trying to take new puter online, I kept getting a "this number is busy" when trying to connect, and after checking through some of the settings that my husband had done, I found that "pulse" was checked, as opposed to "tone"..and another minor little gizmo..and VOILA, works fine.

I know this isn't fun, but have you thought of calling AOL, and just asking? My original ISP wanted me to use Netscape. Well, not Netscape's fault, but had non stop problems with staying online and surfing, and just called my ISP and said, "I want to use Internet Explorer!" and they walked me through some settings checks, and uninstalling Netscape.

HeadachesAbound
03-04-2003, 12:08 PM
On the risk of getting flamed for repeating myself...

AOL uses a proprietary connection method that prevents regular dial-up connections from working. They require the AOL software to connect to the service.

AOL uses an embedded version of IE, so if you have IE6 installed then your AOL Browser will be an embedded version of IE6.

If you don't like the AOL Browser then you can do the following:

1. Write your own Driver / Software to work with AOL's PPOE Methods.
2. Get a different ISP and use AOL on a limited or BYOA Plan.
3. Play Connect / Minimize

It is an unfortunate choice but those are the only options.

I currently have a cable modem ($40 USD / month) and maintain the AOL Account for my wife ($15 USD / month) in order to maintain civility. I used AOL Broadband for a while but I quickly tired of having to open AOL just to use my broadband connection.

kayofcircles
03-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Headaches : I am now racking my brain for a way for us both to be right... :) I know I read a thread over at another forum, and a guy that said he used to be a floor manager at AOL recommended NOT using their browser..just setting it up as an ordinary DialUp. And, in the same thread, others chimed in and said they had done that too. Okay, I "think" I read a post here recently..last few months..where someone said they did that. But, I can't find it this morning. So, is it possible that it could be done in the past..but not now? Because the thread at the other forum was way back in probably July 02, and the one here was at least several months ago.

No "flame"...just confused.:)

HeadachesAbound
03-04-2003, 02:09 PM
kay : I once worked for AOL (left in Sept 99) and at that time it was impossible to use AOL without using the software they provide. The last time that I researched this (Nov / Dec 02) it was still impossible to bypass the AOL software.

I would love for us both to be right as it would mean that I could eliminate a few of the service calls that I respond to on a regular basis concerning AOL and it's many issues.

Also, after having been on both sides of the line when dealing with AOL I would never subject anyone to having to deal with AOL Support. Although many of them know what they are doing they are restricted with what they can do. This usually means that instead of spending 5 more minutes to walk you thru the process they will simply say it can't be done. Not to mention the hours you spend just waiting to talk to someone.

Please let me know if a solution does exist.

====================

:o Flame, Definition of : a rude or derogatory, often passionate, message aimed at someone else.

====================

I would never expect anyone who uses these forums to respond to any conversation with a flame. :confused: Confusion is common and often expected as many of us (including myself) are always learning and sometimes the common knowledge of one of our peers conflicts with that of our own. :confused: Confusion is always welcome as it does tend to provide a clearer understanding of what that :eek: blue smoke coming from the floppy drive might be.

TheSkippyKing
03-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by HeadachesAbound
[B]If you don't like the AOL Browser then you can do the following:

1. Write your own Driver / Software to work with AOL's PPOE Methods.
2. Get a different ISP and use AOL on a limited or BYOA Plan.
3. Play Connect / Minimize

It is an unfortunate choice but those are the only options.

I currently have a cable modem ($40 USD / month) and maintain the AOL Account for my wife ($15 USD / month) in order to maintain civility./B]

I fully agree with the Head-man, and, also commiserate, being in the same net connection configuration.
:(
Been up and down and all around with A HOLE HELL...they always have and always will aim to keep you in their "community"
As web savvy children age, broadband connections become as common as the phone, and computer literacy increases, AOL's relevancy will fade to.....well , irrelevance.:p

kayofcircles
03-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Well, do appreciate the info..although, I gotta say, it's a bit of a bummer. My husband worked on a friend's puter months ago. She has AOL, and husband spent quite a bit of time on the phone with AOL trying to get her browser to work..AND the guy told my husband that the version 5 (or maybe 6) would absolutely NOT work with 98, which later we were told was false information. Recently her old Compaq bit the dust..husband thinks power supply (can't find one anywhere in Albuquerque) or mobo. Both items over $100, if you buy them directly from Compaq, so she's thinking "cheaper" in long run to just buy newer puter, and she will want AOL on it again..so we were hoping that "bypass" stuff would work. Sniffle. AOL does seem to be a "love it or hate it" sort of thing, doesn't it? We've never been tempted to try AOL, so we don't really understand the appeal.

TheSkippyKing
03-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by kayofcircles
We've never been tempted to try AOL, so we don't really understand the appeal.
APPEAL = Comp illiteracy AND/OR newbie:D

Mark Miller
03-05-2003, 10:24 PM
Hi Kay,
You have no idea, it really is a love-hate relationship. As I have said my wife loves it and I hate it. She loves the ease and of all things slingo [a bingo game where you can also chat with people, they have marathons and everything] All the cnn stuff is free with aol also, so she's very happy. The biggest thing is her e-mail, she has had it for 6 years and is not giving it up. thank goodness we have broadband and I can skip the whole thing. she could care less what the nerds [us] think about aol. I guess there are lots of people like her. Thank goodness she's a cutie.
Mark:D :D

kayofcircles
03-06-2003, 10:59 AM
LeanPudLou : You still there? Did you go ahead and install AOL? If you haven't, I echo what Steve said..you might check into alternatives. If you've been using AOL for awhile, you could overlap the services for a month or so, access your AOL email with another ISP and get everyone informed of new addys and such. I absolutely know..lol..that accessing AOL's email from another ISP is possible because the lady I mentioned above is doing that right now while she has no puter.

Oh, and congrats on the "10,000" thing!:)

Yep, know the feeling, Mark . But am very impressed that you can share. My husband and I both have our own computer because husband said I wasn't "sharing" well... :D Which basically translated to "You won't let me 'experiment' with the computer!" Where he had to wipe his and start over quite a few times...I didn't need to..lol. But he is wonderful in so many other ways that is just a matter of not letting him near my puter with that Norton CD he loves so much!

BigBlue66
03-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Here we go again with AOL bashing. I've had AOL since 1996 at home. Was working on a car one day and the wife wanted to "go online". Just happened to have an AOl disk lying around so I told her to go in and get us set up. I came in the house a couple of hours later, and while I didn't care for the screen name that she chose, everything was in working order and we were online.

I have never had a problem with AOL, except for that time that AOL and Zone Alarm got in a bad fight. I use it primarily as a way to connect to the net, then minimize and use IE6. As Whyzman mentioned, it's damn handy to have both browsers at times.

So anyways, I can't see what all the fuss is about AOL. It's simply another way of getting online. I've seen other people use other dial up services with way more problems than I ever had with AOL.

I'll be going broadband at home soon. It's not that I am tired of AOL or dial up, but I am accounting part-time for another company and will have lots of net work to do.

So what's the point of my post? Damned ifn I know, but I sure get tired of AOL bashing.

Sometimes, I can get such a good connection coupled with a very fast computer, that web pages load almost as fast as my T1 line at my f/t job.

TheSkippyKing
03-06-2003, 11:42 AM
OK,OK !..But ya got to have somebody to kick around besides poor ol' Billy Gates:p
I've had it since '96 also from dailup to cable, and even the cable downloads on their browser are almost as painful as dailup !
I guess I just feel it ain't worth the extra $15 for the "priviledge".....but that's a "family" issue;)

Paul Komski
03-06-2003, 10:49 PM
https://www.ingvfc.com/FAQ_answers_print.jsp?corpID=62

LeanPudLou
03-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Hey All,
Thank you all for your responses...I no longer feel alone in my continuing Quest for Freedom....ha!
To Steve and the rest...My "significant other" and I "co-habitate" and she has had AOL for years and Loves it...I have tried, repeatedly, to get her to change but she simply refuses...what can a man do?
Only answer: have a separate line installed and go my own way.
We can't get cable here nor wireless...dial-up is the only option. And while there are other ISP's available...she is hopelessly stuck on AOL.
I'll just have to get my own line (sigh).

sea69
03-08-2003, 03:04 AM
Take the following steps to block automatic launch of your AOL browser:
1. Click the Start button in the lower left-hand corner of your desktop.
2. Select Programs and click on Internet Explorer.
3. Click Tools and select Internet Options.
4. Click the Programs tab.
5. Click to check mark the box next to Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser and click OK.
6. Close and reopen your browser and select Internet Explorer as the default browser.

:)