PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP activiation

iisbob
07-21-2001, 02:12 PM
Supposedly a third party company has looked at this new antipiracy feature of XP and have declared that it does not propose a privacy invasion. Also they 've supposedly outlined excatly what the activation looks for; go here (http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6536843.html) and follow the in page link to a downloadable text file which is supposed to describe in detail the keys the activation looks for.

------------------
iisbob
"Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run."

Bailey
07-21-2001, 03:24 PM
I can't imagine this activation scheme not ending in a mess. The idea that you buy a product, and then Micro$oft continues to control the use of that product, is a bad sign for the future. To me, this is the worst kind of invasion of privacy.

With all the glitches in the release of M$'s last OS release (ME), how many glitches, bugs, and assorted problems are we going to have activating XP? How do we keep the OS running when M$ thinks, mistakenly, that we have tried to put the copy we paid for, on another machine?

I hope I'm wrong. I hope this activation scheme works. I hope that XP is all that M$ says it is.
I hope for all those things, but I honestly don't think we will ever see another good, truly innovative product from Micro$oft.

Just my opinion.

------------------
"Ooooh, They have the
internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson (http://asf.allwavs.com/wav4/Simpsons/inetcptr.wav)

hiredgoonz
07-21-2001, 04:05 PM
The activation scheme was cracked in beta (although it was not the true activation process that will exist in the real product), then it was cracked again in RC1 (in a way that most likely will work with the final release)...

So, I wouldn't worry too much about it...by the time SP1 is out for it (which is probably a good thing to wait for anyway) the activation cracks will be easy to come by and you won't have to worry about the invasion of privacy...

------------------
When all else fails, read the instructions.

iisbob
07-21-2001, 08:25 PM
you're quite right goonz; as i've pointed out in earlier posts on this subject several aquantices of mine have already " cracked " the procedure for getting around the activation code, actually it's more of a common sense thing than any spectacular programming. Mostly it has to do with the registry( no surprise their since it is the " brain " of the OS ), i have tried a beta copy of XP i downloaded and succesfully applied the techniques i was instructed-worked quite well. All i can say about XP so far is it's pretty much just a prettier version of 2000, with 98 style bugs.

------------------
iisbob
"Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more deadly in the long run."

slo ride
08-09-2001, 01:24 AM
Funny they don't give this 3rd party company a name. Hired, owned, made up, by M$ possibly? As for the so called "innocuous" information transmitted it includes unique identifiers for all the major parts of your computer. On the surface it seems innocent enough. What could happen? Activation combines your hardware info with your isp/email adress or Name/phone number via caller id. During future visits to windoze update or other sites it rescans and matches those hardware ids with any further information they have in their database, ie hotmail, msdn, support, product registrations, purchase records, domain registrations, 3rd party databases. Combining small bits of info gathered from several visits gives a disturbingly complete picture. Hardware could be tracked as it moves around the globe as long as its host connects to the internet. A hard drive or other hardware originally activated with your computer, later could show up in the machine of someone else. Now they know who your friends are, or possibly a derived customer list from a VAR or even an OEM. Or it could be used to unfairly link you to a computer related crime. What value would this data have to a criminal? (M$ background checks can't know everything about their employees) with a name and phone number from activation call you can easilly get an adress. If activation shows someone has a quad xeon 2M cache box with a terrabyte of drive they know thats valuable. What a coincidence, its close by. This data could be sold to marketers (spammers) or used by M$ itself to push even more crap on us. Sample spam email: "From your ~ XP activation I see you have a Intell 400MHz P3. Now is the time to upgrade to a 1.2 GHz model from madspammer.com. Our data shows that most owners of the 400MHz P3 in your area(isp, area code) also own at least 1 IBM hard drive. Get yours today." Basically, if its none of their business, yet they want it, the information is NOT innocuous.

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aint after me.

sea69
08-09-2001, 08:38 AM
bla to XP, I will not buy/run it.

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

homepage (http://www.seanweb1.homestead.com/3.html)

;)~