PDA

View Full Version : Scandisk gets screwed in Win95

Alejandro
03-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi people,
I've noticed in many Win95 machines i saw, that after time being used almost always scandisk begins to fail after a forced reboot.
Translated from my native Spanish version, this is aproximately what i get:

Windows has been shut down incorrectly. Press any key to run Scandisk...

But, after pressing any key, this message appears next:

There was an error running Scandisk, or it was cancelled. Run Scandisk from within Windows to ensure your disks have no errors.

(Tried to remember, don't have the error at hand at the time)

I'd like to spot the cause of this beggining to happen for no apparent reason, and if possible a fix. It worries me because, of course, nobody goes to execute the Windows Scandisk manually after this error, so the disks acumulate error over error and files are lost.

Anyone with the same problem around there?

debby
03-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Alejandro
I think I know how to get your scandisk to work it's not only Windows 95 this problem in also on Windows 98 and I found the answer to this from a computer tips I get in my E-mail and all you have to do is start your computer in safe mode then you can run the scandisk now on windows 98 to start the computer in safe mode when you restart it keep pressing F8 a screen will come up and you have some optios select safe mode I think it's number 3 I hope this works out for you!
You can e-mail me if you need more help :D :D

Paul Komski
03-16-2003, 09:12 PM
The other option via F8 is to select command prompt and then type and enter scandisk at the C: prompt. If you can get it to run also choose to do a full surface scan.

Alejandro
03-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Many thanks to both of you for your replies, but that's not exactly my problem. I know the ways you mention to run scandisk manually from DOS, but i want to know why it ceases starting "automatically" after a bad shutdown (a poweroff or reboot with CTRL-ALT-DEL, without going through "Start menu -> shutdown" first) and how to fix it to make it start again without having to execute it manually.
BTW Debby, till now i didn't had that problem not even once in machines with Win98, Scandisk always starts correctly if Windows was forced to shutdown. Maybe there are some differences between the Spanish versions i have and your English ones apart from the language itself, making them behave different (i certainly know that the Spanish version of Visual Studio 6 has a bug that's not present in the English one, for example).
I hope you understand what my problem is.
Thanks again!

Sylvander
03-17-2003, 10:12 AM
It's my belief that this feature was introduced in Windows 98.
Windows 95 did not automatically run Scandisk after a bad shutdown.

Also, Scandisk run in DOS mode only detects errors but is unable to fix them.
To fix them you must run Scandisk within Windows.

Alejandro
03-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Maybe it's the OS language difference i've mentioned Sylvander, but i'm 100% sure at least the latest Win95 (OSR2) does have this functionality, because i see it everyday here at work...and i'm also sure it does fix errors.

If you say your version doesn't then i guess i should ask in a spanish board to people that has the same version i have. :(
But thanks anyway! ;)

kayofcircles
03-17-2003, 11:58 AM
One of 95's "lacks" is msconfig. You can copy 98's msconfig.exe file to a 95 computer, and it will work. We've done that..don't know about 98SE, but the original 98 msconfig works fine. Or go here for download.. msconfig for 95 (http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm). The reason I mention that is because, in 98's msconfig file, under Selective Startup and Advanced button..is a box that can be checked that reads "Do not run Scandisk after a bad shutdown" and it's possible that 95 is doing that...for whatever reason.

And this has nothing to do with ScanDisk really, but since 95 also lacked DiskClean, if you're taking those machines online, you need to do regular "deleting" of the Temp Internet files and cookies to maintain optimum performance.

kayofcircles
03-17-2003, 12:07 PM
One thing that 95 lacked is msconfig. You can copy 98's msconfig.exe to a 95 puter, or you can go here.. msconfig for 95 (http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm) for download. The reason I mention it is that in 98's msconfig, under Selective Startup, Advanced button is a box that can be checked that reads "do not run Scandisk after bad shutdown" and it's possible that 95 is doing that..for whatever reason. And obviously, there are advantages to msconfig anyway.

Also, nothing to do with ScanDisk, but 95 also lacked a DiskClean so you should makes sure to clean out the Temp Internet files and cookies regularly if any of those 95's are going online.

My first post got "lost"..I think..so if this is a duplicate, that's why.
Edit: It is a duplicate, and I just tried three times to Delete it, and message says I can't...sorry.

Alejandro
03-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Have to try msconfig on Win95, as soon as i have this problem again i'll give it a try. Maybe it's a registry key that gets messed up and msconfig fixes it...
Good to know it can be done however ;)

Paul Komski
03-17-2003, 01:14 PM
You need to edit the msdos.sys file

see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q118579

AutoScan=Number Default: 1 Purpose: Defines whether or not ScanDisk is run after a bad shutdown. A setting of 0 does not run ScanDisk; 1 prompts before running ScanDisk; 2 does not prompt before running ScanDisk but prompts you before fixing errors if any errors are found.

Alejandro
03-18-2003, 05:51 PM
I suspected that what msconfig does is changing that value in the msdos.sys file, and i'm not totally wrong.
I went to msconfig (under WinME) and disabled automatic checking of disks after bad shutdown, then opened msdos.sys without restarting, and the Autoscan value remained at 1, but maybe after restarting it's changed to 0. Tried the same enabling boot menu (also without restarting) and this time the BootMenu value did change from 0 to 1.

I have yet to see what happens when adding manually the Autoscan=1 line in the problematic W95 machines msdos.sys file, because so far i looked at various ones and there's no Autoscan line at all.
I'll let you know if this solves the problem.