PDA

View Full Version : comp freezes up

no2like
03-04-2003, 02:47 PM
I have win98.My computer freezes up constantly.It does not matter what task I am performing,it starts the process and within 1 or 2 seconds the computer freezes then comes back to normal to freeze up again.This condition occurs constantly.I scan the H.D.,degraged it,cleaned cookies,history,dat files the works still it keeps doing the same thing
any ideas

deddard
03-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Can you post a few more details about your system?
Processor, hard disk, RAM etc.
Do you have any programs running at startup?
have you altered anything recently?

CuratoR
03-05-2003, 03:25 AM
yeah, give us some more details.

no2like
03-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Deddard-CuratoR
here is some info you requested
Dell dimension XPS M200s with 512 cache,64mb sdram,6.4gb eide h.d.(1.7gb free)12-16x,eide cd-rom.
My startup consists of:
taskbar display controls
taskbar monitor
still image monitor
load qm
scan registry
load power profile
nav agent
scheduling agent
As you can see my h.d. is painfully small.I would like to change it for a bigger one.What size could I upgrade to.I also want to increasethe memory to 128K.is that possible

Budfred
03-05-2003, 07:01 PM
You may want to check out your startup programs here:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm#L

I know that LoadQM is unnecessary for most people and the more startup stuff you have, the more likely your system can bog down. I would also run standard malware scans, like Spybot and AV software to make sure you don't have a garbage slowdown.

As for upgrading, you can probably use just about any size hard drive you want, but you may have to partition to use it depending on what version of Windoze you are using. I am guessing your system should be able to handle 128meg RAM easily, but you can make sure by checking on the Dell website or in your manual.

kaede
03-05-2003, 08:26 PM
did you install any new software or driver recently ?
Btw what OS you are using ?