PDA

View Full Version : Will Heavy Heatsink/Fan break MoBo?

LeanPudLou
03-05-2003, 10:10 AM
I've been looking at the copper heatsinks and high output fans and
thinking wondering just how much shear stress a motherboard could
withstand.
A case with motherboard oriented in the vertical...the board
must support a heavy heatsink/fan at a 90 degree angle...it seems possible that this kind of stress could crack the motherboard.
Have any of you ever seen that happen?

YODA74
03-05-2003, 10:23 AM
It's possable but if the mobo has been properly attatched at all points then you shouldn't have a problem most of these sinks have been tested..
I would be more inclined as it doing damage to the processor befor the board.. what heat sink and processor and board are you using??

Steve
03-05-2003, 11:30 AM
A friend gave me a HHC-001 PURE COPPER heatsink and fan, made by Cooler Master. The thing is so heavy I really had my doubts about it. But I went ahead and put it on. It works. No problems. :)

Of course, the fan sounds like a rocket taking off...:eek:

sleddog
03-11-2003, 02:52 PM
The stress depends on how the heatsink is attached. Some heatsinks are clipped to the plastic mount that holds the CPU. Attaching a very heavy heatsink in this manner and then turning the motherboard on edge (as in a tower case) could place a fair bit of strain on that CPU mount. Though I've never actually heard of one falling off :)

Other large heatsinks (like, for example, the Alpha PAL 8045) are attached to the motherboard itself by four screws. This is much more secure and does not place any undue stress on the CPU mount.

Budfred
03-11-2003, 08:17 PM
I did read at one point about a heat sink that could not be used in a tower case because it is too heavy to hang on the CPU that way, but I believe the ad for it even warns about this....

josemavicente
03-12-2003, 10:59 AM
i know of those ... great heatsink but its heavy! i know someone who had a bad experience when his heatsink fell off.. its all about attaching it securely.

gwallen4
03-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Shouldn't be a problem with most MB's. But when you transport the system, you might want to turn the tower on its side.