PDA

View Full Version : XP Upgrade Question

R4_M9
03-06-2003, 08:25 AM
I would like to upgrade from win 98 SE to Xp. I understand that i can purchase the upgrade from microsoft for about 99 bucks. SO i guess my questions are:

1: i want to run two OS at a time with 98se and XP how would i go about this?

2: Is there any difference between the $199 and $99 xp's?

3: Is Xp worth it?

Budfred
03-06-2003, 02:53 PM
I personally don't think that XP is worth it, but a lot of others do. However, I would go with the OEM version you can buy from www.newegg.com rather than an upgrade. Upgrades tend to be problem ridden and MS certainly won't want you running Win98 and XP after you upgraded to XP. The full OEM at newegg is about $95 also, so you pay the same, but don't get MS support (not worth anything in my opinion anyway). As for Home versus Pro: the Pro is if you are running a network and need lots of security, basically for business application and not worth the money even for a home network.

sleddog
03-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Agree with what Budfred says. Personally I really don't like XP and have had several very serious problems with it on work machines. IMO Windows 2000 is vastly superior. Maybe think about going for that. I can understand moving away from '98, but I don't think XP is a good choice. Only my 2 cents; others will argue.

Steve
03-06-2003, 06:18 PM
1. You can dual boot win98se and winxp. You can partition your harddrive into two or three partitions. Put win98 on first. Put winxp on second and put programs and data on third. It's really not difficult.

2.I'd recommend a full (not upgrade) OEM version. Less problems.

3.I have had no problems with it. It is user friendly. If you don't mind the activation issue, it's a good OS. You need plenty of RAM. I'd say 256MB minimum and 512MB is better. If the activation is an issue for you, W2k is pretty good.

R4_M9
03-06-2003, 07:27 PM
I know it comes with a key code and if you dont activate it within 30 days something happens, or so thats what i heard.

Does the OEM version come with an activation code?

I also heard that you can only use the activation code once. SO if i buy it i cant switch it to another computer Right?

Paul Komski
03-06-2003, 08:28 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

If you already own an edition of Win98 or WinME you qualify for an upgrade edition of WinXP, which unless things have changed from earlier OSes, should work just as well as a "full" edition.

Having an upgrade version, usually means that you will have to prove your ownership of the older version of windows during the install process.

This is different from using it to upgrade your current version of windows. I think you should still be able to do a clean install, either overwriting the old version completely or by creating a dual boot system.

You can run for 30days without activating and all you will get is occasional reminders before you will get locked-out; you can then decide whether to activate or do a clean reinstall for another 30days.

Once activated on one pc, you would have to get a new activation number from microsoft to run it on another pc and presumably prove that it was removed from the former pc. Anyone have any experience of getting Micorosoft's permission for this - or is it a NO NO.

MS certainly won't want you running Win98 and XP
??? Is this true.

Reid
03-06-2003, 09:14 PM
If you already have Windows XP, you can buy another Product Key online at Shop Microsoft (http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11052) for 15% off. You have to be buying the key for the same type of Windows, either Full or Upgrade, that you already have.

mjc
03-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Actually MS doesn't really care about running more than one version of their OS on the same machine...they even have instructions in the MSKB for doing dual boot setups, that is of course if both are legally licensed copies.

Budfred
03-06-2003, 10:25 PM
I think they do care if you upgrade from an earlier version and then install that version as the second boot. They certainly don't care if you choosed to buy 2 different versions from them.

R4_M9
03-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Has anyone purchased the OEM version. I'm still confused if it is activatable without purchasing anything else? Thanks

Steve
03-07-2003, 08:20 AM
I'm running an OEM version of XP pro. There is no problem activating an OEM install.

Some retailers require you to purchase some hardware along with the operating system. Some don't. It makes no difference in activation.

Budfred
03-07-2003, 08:09 PM
I installed an OEM version on my sister's computer. If I remember I had to buy hardware with it, but I was buying a bunch of stuff, so no problem. MS requires that it be sold with an essential piece of hardware, but not all vendors bother. The ONLY difference between OEM and retail is that OEM doesn't have MS support. The expectation is that you get support from the vendor that sold you the system, but of course that is you if you build your own. In my experience I have gotten a lot more support here or through the MS Knowledge Base than I ever have from MS when I have had a problem.