PDA

View Full Version : No drives working in older system

funhousegroup
03-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Ok everyone, I will try to explain my problem the best I can and hopefully give all of the relevant info.
I got an old pc the other day that I am trying to revive. The issues with it though are.

1. Originaly I got errors upon booting saying that both of the 2 hard disks in the system were unable to boot. I was able to get to the startup menu and choose normal or safe mode but both times I got only to the splash screen and that is it.

2. Then I tryed acouple 95 drives in it that I know boot up on other systems. One time I also got errors ( Missing OS). But another time I was still able to get to the splash screen in one of the other spare drives but that is it. The same drive booted fine in its original machine but only a splash in the PC in question.

3. I changed the bios settings to auto detect the drives but then I usually get errors or just the splash screen still. And now I am getting errors telling of corrupted files in Himem dblbuff and ifshlp.
I am thinking that this has something to do with the bios possibly but just dont know what else to check.

4. Also the display does not come up on the monitor when I boot with the machine at all warm. Im sure this is unrelated though.

I dont understand how I can use known good drives that boot fully in other PCs but in this one I only get to the Splash screen,
Thanks,
Fully frustrated, FH

Paul Komski
03-06-2003, 09:05 PM
If you are trying to boot to a HDD that was simply removed from one pc and inserted into another one, you will have to reformat and reinstall an operating system onto it; unless the pcs are identical or "virtually" identical.

funhousegroup
03-06-2003, 10:03 PM
I guess that you are reffering to the fact that the os has to be configured around the system and its components. It has been so long since I have actually had to replace a drive that I did not take this into account. Thanks
FH

Budfred
03-06-2003, 10:24 PM
I would run diagnostics on the original drives to see if they are working properly and then reformat, reinstall on them to get the system going if they are ok...

funhousegroup
03-07-2003, 02:03 AM
When reformating do I want to format even the dos partition or will this take out the bios>?
FH

Whyzman
03-07-2003, 02:51 AM
I'd start here: http://fdisk.radified.com/

And also do a read on the Partitioning Guide that is linked within the fdisk...

Some helpful information me thinks...;)

Budfred
03-07-2003, 08:43 PM
If this is a Compaq system you could end up messing up the BIOS setup program with a reformat, but if it is any other brand, it is probably safe. Most computers have the BIOS setup on a chip on the motherboard.

funhousegroup
03-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Yeah I had real problems with a compaq a few years ago. We could not find the correct bios for it after the user deleted it.
By the way, What diagnostics program would you use?
FH

Budfred
03-07-2003, 09:03 PM
If you know who made the hard drives, download their diagnostics and set them up on a floppy to check them....