PDA

View Full Version : After games: modem no work, windows no shutdown

Kalitechnis2
03-07-2003, 04:30 AM
After my son has played one of his games, two problems occur:
the modem does not work
Windows (98se) does not close down..gets as far as the screen "Windows is shutting down".

My graphics card is a GeForce 2 GTS pro.

Resetting the computer resolves the issues.

Does any one know what is causing this, and how to rectify it?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

K.

Budfred
03-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Is the game interactive over the web? If it is, he may have picked up a virus or some other bit of garbage that is messing up your system. Another possibility is that the game left part of itself installed and it is interfering. You can check in Task Manager to see if something is running that might be part of the game. You could even shut down everything except systray and explorer to see if it works. If it does, you will probably need to do more work to clear it completely.

If these ideas are not it, post back with more info including the name of the game that he was playing and what you have tried to do to fix the problem.

HeadachesAbound
03-07-2003, 10:38 PM
How much RAM do you have?

I have a couple of games that after playing for a few hours will cause my machine to slow down to the point that a restart is required. I figure it's got more to do with RAM since I have to play mine for an extended period of time before this happens.

Kalitechnis2
03-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Budfred & HeadachesAbound,

Many thanks for your helpful replies.

The reason why my reply is so late, is because I jumped the gun-I reinstalled Windows, which cured the problem, but threw up more new probs than I wanted to deal with.
My HD was cluttered, so I decided to Format it, and start afresh.

It is virtually Spring after all..nice to have a refreshed computer again!

Sorry that you went to all that bother for nothing, it was very good of you,

Cheers,
K.