PDA

View Full Version : sys reboots itself

mohamed adeni
03-07-2003, 12:05 PM
W2k, Celeron 966mhz, 40GB HD, 48x CD-RW, 256 MB RAM, self assemble sys.
Please educate me what causes the sys to reboots by self and guide me how to fix this problem. My son, when working on him school assingment in Word, (the only program was open at that time) all of a sudden sys reboots it self, loosing the data, since he did not saved the file. In another occassion, while reading NBC news on internet, same thing happened. I thought w2k will allow data to be saved before it shuts down or I heard it wrong????

Thank you.

rahulkothari
03-07-2003, 12:59 PM
what causes the sys to reboots by self ?

The prime reason is HEAT.
Make sure all the fans in the system are running.

Fluctuations in power can also cause a system to reboot.
If this is the problem, consider buying a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)

My son, when working on him school assingment in Word, (the only program was open at that time) all of a sudden sys reboots it self, loosing the data, since he did not saved the file.

Theres an Auto-Save feature in Word, which will save the work automatically every 15 min (or watever u specify)

Heres a link which throws more light on the Auto-Save feature. (http://spahp.creighton.edu/chapman/EDU342/lesson3word/autosave.htm)

mohamed adeni
03-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks Rahul, I will check fans in the sys. Do you think I should put that white thing (I forgot the name) on the heatsink???

About the power supply, my son used my computer since the computer in the living room was giving problem. And till late night he worked on it and no problems. Which means that sys needs some attention, right???

Is there any other reason why sys behaves like that, such as virus ?

rahulkothari
03-08-2003, 04:41 AM
that white thing - thermal grease (even i have never seen this thing, only read aba it here)Hang on, others know about it better and hopefully someone will ans.

virus, cant say, but check ur pc for virus anyways.

also, chk for spyware.

Theres a list of Antivirus, Anti-trojans, Spyware Cleaners here by one of our dear moderators. (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15179) :D

sleddog
03-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Heat may well be the cause, but it may not.

The operating system (in this case Windows 2000) may crash because of a misconfiguration, because of a bad program, because of defective hardware -- memory for example -- or for several other reasons.

By default, when Windows 2000 (or XP) crashes, the system automatically reboots. This is not particularly smart, as it leaves nothing on the screen to give you a clue about what caused the crash.

You can change this "default reboot" behaviour:

- Right-click on My Computer and select "Properties";
- Select the "Advanced" tab at top;
- Click the "Startup and Recovery..." button;
- Remove the checkmark by "Automatically reboot"
- Click OK to save and exit.

Restart the system for this change to take effect.

The next time the machine crashes you will see something left on screen. Write down exactly what it says. Then start searching for that error. You might try searching with Google and also in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

And of course, post back here :)

mohamed adeni
03-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi Rahul: I checked with Norton anti virus 2003 and AVG which I heard from mjc. Both the programs are updated. Checked with spy boot also. The white thing I have and used before is: SILVER THERMAL COMPOUND. I tried to remove the cpu but heat sink with clamps are hard to remove it so I left it without using it. I been using the sys from last night to check for any unusual behaviour, so far it did not reboot on me. I have no idea why and what happened when my son used it. Since I used both anti virus and spyboot probably it took care of the problem, I don't know. I will post again if it happens again. Thank again.

Hi sleddog: Thanks for the reply. Apart from what I was telling Rahul, I will try your suggestion too and see what happens. This reboot problem only on this sys and recent too. I been using w2k for couple months so far on both the sys. My sys did not reboot like this one. I have a feeling, thru internet or floppy he was using to save data back and forth from school must be the reason. I will keep you posted. Thank you.

Steve
03-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Hi mohamed,

I would strongly recommend that you do not use the computer until you have applied the thermal compound between the heatsink and processor. With a 966mhz processor, I don't think this is optional!

You are already having symptoms of overheating. Don't let it go to long...:)

mohamed adeni
03-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Hi Steve, I thought I could avoid using thermal compound and hoping heating is not the issue, because I had little problem to remove heatsink from the 370 socket. Well, since you say so - I had to do it now for survival. ;)

Let me remove all the things around this heatsink for easy access to remove the clamps. Did you notice some of these heatsink have complicated clamps???? How they expect people like me to remove these things easly.:mad:

I keep you posted. Thanks.:cool:

Budfred
03-10-2003, 10:10 PM
If the heatsink and processor were already set up, you do not have to remove it to apply thermal paste, you only have to do that if you installed it without any thermal transfer medium. From reading your post, I couldn't tell which is the case....

Also, they don't really want you removing those clamps, so they don't design them to be easy. Some are ok, but I haven't seen any really easy ones yet.

mohamed adeni
03-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks Budfred for the reply. I bought this barebone from MicroCenter which has mobo with integrated sound, nic,audio etc. 128 RAM, Celeron 966 Mhz. Only thing I did was installed modem and put in HD. According to specs it is intel mobo. Since I did not put in this cpu + heatsink on the mobo, should I live it like that? What other options I got to save myself from trouble?

Yes, these clams on heatsink sometimes hard to remove them.:mad:

Steve
03-11-2003, 12:24 PM
"Yes, these clams on heatsink sometimes hard to remove them."

Sometimes they can drive you crazy! :D

Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you had removed the heatsink. If you bought a barebones assembly and it came with the processor and heatsink installed, you should be all set.

mohamed adeni
03-11-2003, 12:42 PM
There you are, Steve. No I did not, I found it hard to remove the clamps so I left it, I thought of trying again last night by removeing everying attached to mobo before I touch heatsink but I was busy and could not get to it. Good, I did not touch it. Should I watch for some more time because till now it did not reboot itself.

Steve
03-11-2003, 01:03 PM
I would say, follow sleddog's advice above. If you have any more reboots, you should have an error message to help determine the problem.

mohamed adeni
03-11-2003, 04:14 PM
I did that and let see what kind of error message I will get this time. Like I said so far so good. I will post if I see any of such. I hope I don't see any. Thanks again.:cool: