PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of M$ Me$$enger

BonedAgain
03-07-2003, 04:56 PM
My Fiancée’s pc, a ~1yo Dell, has XP. As is my way :D I have eliminated much of the background services/programs/other junk which computers come laden with, the better to track your every move & thought/peddle you crap. PC now starts, runs & (especially) shuts down MUCH faster. But I can't seem to get rid of M$ Me$$enger. It's in the start menu, and when removed simply returns on the next boot. It's not listed among the services, so no luck there (there's a "messenger" which has to do with administrative messages on a network, but that's something else and anyway it's already been disabled). It's not listed in add/remove programs, so I tried simply deleting the programs/messenger directory, but the pc won't allow this, because the damned thing's running (messenger, not the pc. Well, naturally the pc's running too, otherwise how could I... you know what I mean!!! :D )! Tried to shut Me$$enger off with ctrl/alt/del, and it restarts/reappears immediately!!! How can I get rid of this thing??? I was able to delete in both OS's on my dual boot (woe is) ME/win2k machine. I know, it's probably not THAT big a resource drain, but dammit it's the principle on the thing!!! :mad:

TIA,

BA

pentachris
03-07-2003, 05:16 PM
If it really bugs you, you could always just rename the file...

david eaton
03-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi, Boned. Have you looked at blackviper site? I think you will find the answer HERE (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) . Full of useful tweaks that really slim-down the bloat included in eXtraPesky! :D

David

BonedAgain
03-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes I am very familar with black viper, great site! I've used it to trim 3 os's, ME, 2k & XP. Din't think to llok there for this one. After getting pentachris's suggestion, which I didn't think would work since it would be blocked by the program running just as deleting the directory was (and it was), I did another ctrl/al/del and tried the right click option "end process tree" which stopped the program w/o restarting it. Then I could change the name of the directory which prevented restarting!

BA

Rick
03-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Go to the top of this page
Click on Search
Type in "sysoc.inf "
You will find a number of posts.
HOW To Rid Your System of MS Message is simple.
Edit sysoc.inf and remove the HIDE after ms message
Then use the add remove programs to remove it forever

Here is My search results
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=40626&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending