PDA

View Full Version : msgsrv 32 trashed

setoguro
03-07-2003, 11:50 PM
On my wife's computer ( I'm not taking the blame for this one :rolleyes: ) she was getting an error with msgsrv 32. So figuring it was no good she decided to throw it in the trash. Now it won't boot but I can use a boot disk to get in so how can I get it out of the trash and put it back were it belongs?

YODA74
03-08-2003, 12:00 AM
Msgsrv32.exe can be extracted from your Windows CD using System File
Checker.

setoguro
03-08-2003, 12:09 AM
How can I do that form DOS?

mjc
03-08-2003, 02:32 AM
The bootdisk has a DOS version of Extract on it, but it is a little harder because you will need to know which .cab it is in and probalby need to select boot with CD support.

Another way would be to copy the file from a working 98 install and then just copy it onto the dead machine, in DOS.

setoguro
03-08-2003, 03:03 AM
Ok this is what I have found so far.

At the DOS prompt I type "extract"
This brings up Microsoft Cabinet Extraction tool.
Well after that I'm really not sure on how to proceed I'm just worried about flinging msgsrv32 files all over the known universe and it's too late now to take a chance. But here's what I see.

extract [/y] [/a] [/d | /e] [/l dir] cabinet [filename....]
extract [/y] source [newname]
extract [/y] /c source source destination

cabinet - Cabinet file (contains two or more files).
filename - Name of the file to extract from the cabinet. Wild cards and multiple filenames (separated by blanks) may be used.

source - Compressed file (a cabinet with only one file).
newname - New filename to give the extracted file. If not supplied,the original name is used.

/a process all cabinets. follows cabinet chain starting in first cabinet cabinet mentioned.

/c Copy source file to destination (to copy from DMF disks).

/d Display cabinet directory (use with filename to avoid extract).

/e Extract (use instead of *.* to extract all files)

/l dir Location to place extracted files (default is current directory).

/y Do not prompt before overwriting an existing file.

Any advice on how to get going?

Whyzman
03-08-2003, 04:08 AM
I'm not "Mr. Dos" by any stretch of the imagination....:confused: :D

I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605

Which might be helpful....I hope! ;)

Check out way down under Win95...Computer won't boot...it seemed like that was the best explanation...

setoguro
03-08-2003, 09:50 PM
Thanks all. It's up and running again. I copied the file over from my computer. I think I'd like to give System File Checker a try out. I need to fix some file problems in 98se on my multiboot.

kayofcircles
03-09-2003, 11:35 AM
setoguro : If you've never run SFC, it's gonna be kind of long, I think. And check out this recent thread here, if you haven't already. I learned some stuff.

www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20898 (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20898)

setoguro
03-10-2003, 01:47 AM
Thanks Kay. I haven't seen that one.