PDA

View Full Version : Put Device Manager shortcut on Start Menu

Sylvander
03-08-2003, 09:14 AM
If you'd like to put a shortcut to the Device Manager on your Start Menu.

The instructions are here

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-20.shtml

sea69
03-08-2003, 11:30 AM
or just press the "windows key" (between Ctrl/Alt bottom left) and the "Pause|Break" key at the same time, will pop up DM too.

;)

YODA74
03-08-2003, 11:41 AM
windows xp/2000

To do this, right-click Start and choose Open. Now right-click in the Start Menu window and choose New, Shortcut. When the Create Shortcut wizard opens, enter:

c:\winnt\system32\mmc.exe c:\winnt\system32\devmgmt.msc

Click Next. In the "type in a name for this shortcut" entry box, type:

Device Manager

Click Finish and you will be able to access your Device Manager simply by clicking Start, Device Manager.

Sylvander
03-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Yes, I should have said that was for Windows 98.

SEA
I tried the “Windows Key + Pause/Break” and it doesn’t produce quite as good a result.
It makes the “System Properties” Dialogue open at the “General” tab.

The other way makes it open at the “Device Manager” tab [which is really neat!].
Yet they quoted that key combination on the web page giving the instructions for the shortcut!
[Or is it just my PC that’s getting it wrong?]

I copied and pasted the shortcut from the Start menu to the desktop too, so now I have two [extra] places giving [instant] access to Device Manager.

sea69
03-08-2003, 07:37 PM
you of course are correct.

I hadn't gone to the link you provided as I learned that little trick right here about 2 years ago..

heh

;)

sleddog
03-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Not to sound flippant, but... what do you guys do in Device Manager so often that requires a special link to it? Once a machine is set up and functioning correctly I never go there!

mjc
03-08-2003, 08:03 PM
There are times where I would like a link to somebody else's DM on my desktop. About the only reason I go there is to be able to get directions to tell someone else how to get there or what to look for...

Sylvander
03-09-2003, 06:10 AM
Same here.

In looking at the problems that others experience [a lot of it in the device manager] I go to various places in there quite a lot and so I ‘m gradually getting to know it better.

I had a yellow exclamation mark against my “Advanced Power Management” and had started a thread about it on this forum but got no solution until I stumbled upon a solution in my travels on the web.

How dumb can I be!
“Power Management” was globally disabled in the BIOS!

I also keep my motherboard handbook within reach at all times and I’m always referring to it.
That’s another thing I’m gradually getting to know better.
I’ve just learned that the “Power Management” setting GLOBALLY controls the application or non-application of all the other settings.
DUH! Well of course that seems obvious now that I know it, but it was anything but obvious to me before!

It seems a bit like getting to know the internal “landscape” of the PC and the device manager is a favourite little spot that I’d like to know [and understand] better.

Another thing I’ve been trying to do for years is to switch from PIO to DMA.
I found instructions on the web here http://tinyurl.com/74up , used “debug” to test all my IDE drives [which were DMA capable], put the additional settings in my “Mshdc.inf” file and followed all the other instructions but it didn’t work. I was forced to re-format and restore a couple of times before I found a better way to successfully boot.
I used “scanreg /restore” to go back to the original [working] registry, booted successfully, then re-edited out the additions to the “.inf” file. That’s much simpler and quicker.
If anyone has suggestions I could start a new thread. I might just do that anyway.

sleddog
03-09-2003, 06:20 AM
OK, excellent answer! :)