PDA

View Full Version : 10KBps thru a 7KBps connection ???

rahulkothari
03-09-2003, 04:03 AM
After a bit of research (http://www.chaseinfosystems.com/networks.html), regarding bits and bytes, i came to this conclusion.

56.6 Kbps = 7 KBps (approx)
ok, fine, so far, so good.

but then i m a bit confused now as, once i saw a 10KBps download speed in Download Accelerator Plus(dap) when the max possible thru a dial-up modem is 7KBps ??? :confused:

sleddog
03-09-2003, 06:16 AM
In a word: compression.

Modems do hardware compression. Networking software can do software compression. One or both can help achieve greater throughput than the actual connection speed.

Whether compression happens (to any appreciable amount) depends on the type of data being transferred. Text data compress very well during transfer. Already-compressed binary data do not.

A real-world example might be: compare the download speed between a 500Kb plain text file and a 500Kb zip file. The text file will download much faster, at maybe 2X or even 4X your rated connection speed (significant compression). The zip file will download at best at your rated connection speed (no compression, or a negligible amount).

Paul Komski
03-09-2003, 06:30 AM
.. also .. perhaps one shouldn't take too much notice of the speeds as being "gospel" since at best they are only estimates or averages over certain periods of time.

Timing the actual download oneself might give another result - but even this can be prone to error if some of the data has had to be resent during the whole process.

mjc
03-09-2003, 03:28 PM
And if you happen to have a v92 connection (and your ISP is fully v92 enabled) your compression can be a little bit higher, therefore faster.

sleddog
03-10-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Paul Komski
.. also .. perhaps one shouldn't take too much notice of the speeds as being "gospel" since at best they are only estimates or averages over certain periods of time.

The little app "NetMeter" which I mentioned in another thread is useful here. You can select to see average speed or real-time speed.

sleddog
03-10-2003, 03:19 AM
But most importantly it looks so cool :)

sleddog
03-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Oops, forgot the attachment...

(How come I'm not allowed to delete my own post?)

mjc
03-10-2003, 03:43 AM
Deleteing your own post has been disabled forever......since before you were trying to get the webcam in the lighthouse (yeah, that long ago....:D)