PDA

View Full Version : copying config.sys from win98SE cdrom to hard drive

tonysolomon
03-11-2003, 01:20 PM
I need to copy config.sys from the cdrom to the c: drive, while in DOS, but I don't know where it is located. If I don't find it I'll have to run FDISK, format the drive and re-install all of the programs. Can anyone help?

mjc
03-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Could you please go into more detail about what your problem is?

Config.sys is file that is usually built during the installation of the OS, so a file from the CD rom may not be able to do what you need.

If there is a driver/file being loaded by config.sys that cannot found or loaded you can try editing config.sys in DOS and comment that stuff out.

tonysolomon
03-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Well, originally, when I turned the PC on it started to load the OS. I saw the Win98 picture, but then the screen went blank and I could only load the OS in safe mode. I copied the config.sys file from the 98 boot diskette to the c: drive. I thought that it would replace missing drivers, but it didn't work. I don't want to have to format and re-install all of the programs, so I'm trying to find the correct config.sys file from the 98SE CDROM. Thanks.

sleddog
03-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Config.sys is not usually required for an "ordinary" Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP machine to boot from the harddrive.

Commands in it load DOS-mode drivers, usually not required as Windows will load Windows drivers as it boots.

Try without a config.sys file:

- Rename config.sys to config.bak. This disables it;
- Reboot.

Now, if you see problems, post what those problems are.

tonysolomon
03-11-2003, 07:12 PM
:D I used the boot disk to get into DOS, typed REN CONFIG.SYS CONFIG.BAK, took out the diskette and rebooted the PC and everything works great. It's back to normal. I am so glad that I asked this board before I formatted the drive. Thanks so much, for the help.

sleddog
03-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Well done. To avoid any confusion down the road you may want to simply delete that config.bak file. You can delete it in Windows.