PDA

View Full Version : Fan question for the technologically inclined (that leaves me out)

Nooyawkah
03-16-2003, 12:35 PM
A fan question for the technologically inclined.....

Re Panaflo 92mm fans. Assume there are 2 choices to use as a heatsink fan:

low speed: 42CFM 27dBa 2100RPM
high speed: 57CFM 35dBa 2850RPM

To me, the beauty of Panaflo fans is their low noise level as well as the fact that they run with little vibration. If I attached the high speed model to a 3-speed fan controller it would, logically, give me more cooling flexibility than simply plugging in the low speed fan. However, would the controller tend to make the fan perform less efficiently/quietly since it would now be subject to a 3rd party piece of hardware?

Budfred
03-16-2003, 01:11 PM
I am not a fan expert by any means, but I suspect that the main reason Panaflo fans are quieter has to do with their design, so they should run quieter at any speed (assuming that you don't try to run them at more than their rated speed).

Whyzman
03-16-2003, 01:48 PM
I wasn't quite understanding down which avenue your concern was being channeled.

Are you concerned about how the high speed fan will perform if hardware regulated? Or, are you concerned about the reliability/performance of a third party fan speed regulator?

If the two fans you mention are identical except for their speeds I would suspect that varying speeds of the fan is not an issue.

As far as the performance of a third party regulator...well, as far as I know, these switches just vary resistors paths, similar to the AC/Heat fan switch in a vehicle, or use a "pot"/rheostat to achieve the different speeds...

I don't see either as an issue to worry about...With something as MBM5 should the speed switch fail and the HSF not spin up you could set it to shut the system down...

malcore
03-16-2003, 02:09 PM
"Say little but say it well!"

These guys like to TALK! Nooyawkah.:D

Simple answer for ya: no.

;)

Nooyawkah
03-16-2003, 02:17 PM
These guys like to TALK! Nooyawkah.
Simple answer for ya: no.

Thank you Malcore!

Hey Whyman, speaking of motherboard monitor, and of my technical incompetence, I'm having one hell of a time getting it to work with my LCD display. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

malcore
03-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Don't think MBM will display readouts on your LCD. Displays its readouts in your system tray.

Nooyawkah
03-16-2003, 02:24 PM
I can get it to do that, but Crystalfontz says it will show up on LCD via its Crystal Control software. Duh! on me. I'm gonna figure this out if it kills me.

http://www.crystalfontz.com/software/index.html

malcore
03-16-2003, 02:30 PM
What version of MBM5 do you have?

Should be version 5.2 or higher to work with the CC software.

Edit- Check this (http://www.crystalfontz.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=883&highlight=MBM+setup) out.

Nooyawkah
03-16-2003, 02:37 PM

malcore
03-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Have you checked the Tech Forum on their site? I left you a link in my Edit above.

Budfred
03-16-2003, 03:13 PM
malcore,

I am a man who prefers to use few words. That said, sometimes it helps to ramble a bit to provide ancillary info that might be helpful and sometimes it is helpful to ramble to bit to try to figure out what the hell I am talking about.:p

Also, I have never met a linguist who wasn't a bit verbose....:D

malcore
03-16-2003, 03:25 PM
touche Budfred .

...mea culpa

:D

Whyzman
03-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Hehe malcore,

I see you found my "short but sweet" Gaelic translation...hehe! :D

I wish there were a way to be able to climb into the minds of folks in the know and see how they arrive at their conclusions. The thinking process itself is oft times equally important as the answer itself...

...the "ancillary" stuff as Budfred pointed out...