PDA

View Full Version : mjc, did you find out anything?

drdan
03-18-2003, 02:57 AM
As far as my network being denied permission to view this site? Is Budfred still experiencing the same problem?

mjc
03-18-2003, 05:10 AM
No, I haven't really found any thing, because the IP address is that of the network (an Iinternal IP). Sorry.

sleddog
03-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Perhaps you could email mjc from work. The mail headers will contain your live (Internet) IP.

Budfred
03-18-2003, 09:53 PM
I sent mjc my IP address and he couldn't find anything that would indicate blocking on this end. He suggested and I suspect that the problem is that the firewall at work has decided to start blocking the site, possibly because I accessed it beyond some sort of limit they set. Whatever is going on, I can't get it. I plan to contact IT and ask what is going on eventually, but first I gotta' get caught up on my paperwork...:D

drdan
03-19-2003, 02:38 AM
mjc, I don't know enough about this to understand your reply. Are you saying that there couldn't be any blocking of the IP of the network itself, only an idividual? Everybody on that network is blocked so it seems like something is affecting us all equally. I think most of the people on this network run ZoneAlarm free version. Could someones settings on this affect everyone on the network. Do you think it's coincidence that two people, both on a wireless network, are having an identical problem which showed up only days apart and only for this particular site. That would indicate to me that it has something to do with this site. Is it possible that in the efforts to stop robots that this sites software now sees a wireless network as robot or other threat? Were some of your settings changed in the last few weeks? Maybe Budfred and I are the only ones on a wireless network that have been posting recently. Maybe something about our networks triggered some type of response.

Budfred have you checked to see if the others on your network are also blocked from this site? What firewalls are running on your system?

drdan
03-19-2003, 02:42 AM
mjc, should I email you from the office computer? What is your address?

drdan
03-19-2003, 03:59 AM
mjc, I received an email saying I had a PM from you but when I go to the link it says I have no new messages. Can you resend it or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Budfred
03-19-2003, 09:42 PM
drdan,

I have tried to access from 2 different computers, one with a wireless connection and one with a wired connection and neither lets me through. The message I posted earlier comes up almost instantly, so I think it is on my companies network rather than something at PCGuide.

mjc
03-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Better yet I'll just email you, that way you can just return send, the PM just had my email address in it.

drdan
03-21-2003, 04:54 PM
I never received an email from you that I recognized at least. I did email you from my office computer on the DSL connection. Did you get that and did it tell you anything? I'm home on lunch break typing this. It's getting old not being able to get on from work.

mjc
03-21-2003, 06:12 PM
The IP address on the email you sent is worthless, it is the IP of the webmail service you used...:(

So right now, there isn't much to do, I suppose someone could go through some of your old posts to see if we can come up with an IP from your office. About how long ago did this start, so I can look at posts before that.

Also, I can't remember if you tried to get here by using the IP address of the site?

drdan
03-22-2003, 12:49 AM
It suddenly started about 3/4/03. I believe it may have been in the middle of viewing some posts as happened to Budfred. I didn't pay much attention at first just thinking the site was having difficulties. As I said tracert goes through to the proper address here without a problem. I also downloaded "visual route" and it traces out the route also with no problem. I tried getting on here just using the IP address and get the same "You are not authorized to view this page" error. We are not really on a network at the office. The office next door had a T3 line run in and a Cisco wireless router installed. They are friends and offered to let the three chiropractors in this side of the building share the wireless DSL connection at a nominal cost. There is no computer in their office acting as a server and no network connections between our computers and theirs or with each other in our office, although I believe that's possible to set up.

mjc
03-22-2003, 02:21 AM
I did find an IP for your office, so I am emailing it to Charles to see if it has been blocked here.

But I think there is something up with their connection, because I was getting a ping time of over 1 second (roundtrip), which is absolutely horrible.

drdan
03-22-2003, 02:33 AM
I appreciate your help on this. What do you mean about the connection having problems? Do you think the ping time being slow has something to do with this access problem?

mjc
03-22-2003, 10:26 AM
That is a possibility, especially if there is a problem with the router. It could be that the connection to here is timing out.

drdan
03-22-2003, 06:57 PM
HEY I'M ON!!! I just tried clicking on an email about a thread from here and I got through even though i'm on our office wireless! I did get a page when I tried to post saying I wasn't logged on. It let me log on obviously. I guess this is at least a clue. Did something change on your end that you know of?

The page I got is standard I thin but raised some questions in my mind that maybe the access has something to do with the automatic login process. Here what it said:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I'm going to log off this site and see if I can get back on the regular way. If I can't it will be tonight at least before I get back here from home.

drdan
03-22-2003, 07:04 PM
I can still get on. I came back the regular route and was even still logged on - hmmmm. I wonder if being automatically logged on from two different computers locked something up. I wouldn't be surprised if that's Budfreds situation also. Maybe something changed recently with the sites software that causes problems when you try to use automatic login from two different computers, one a wireless network.

Of course maybe it's because it's Saturday and no one else is on my wireless router so it's going through faster.

Budfred
03-22-2003, 07:08 PM
I'll try it this weekend and see if it works. I have to connect to my work network through dialup, but from there it should be the normal network. I'll let you know how it goes.